Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. My name is Trevor and I am a Kumiko addict. Since I discovered my first YouTube video on Kumiko early on during lockdown, it has taken over my waking hours.

Ok, I exaggerate considerably but I have got a lot of enjoyment from several kumiko inspired projects over the last 10 months. I don't find it too samey - certainly no more than a lot of woodworking processes might appear to be samey. What I would same is that it is time consuming but the satisfaction of the final result, for me, is ample reward. Almost equal tot he satisfaction of the finished object is the creation of successful jigs to aid preparation and completion of the projects.

I have used both lime and maple for the kumiko strips as well odd bits of interesting hardwood scraps for occasional accents. The lime is very nice to use with hand tools and the maple cuts well with jigs on the table saw.

The first project was a small side lamp.

View attachment 105712

The next project design was inspired by Des King whose videos were the start of my voyage of discovery. This is a 'Coaster Panel'.

View attachment 105713

I forget for the source of inspiration for the display stand below

View attachment 105714

The following tealight shades served as last year's Christmas gifts for the family. Used with an LED tealight they are very effective (and safe).

View attachment 105715

Finally, I made a ceiling shade for our dining room. In this I used cellophane wrapping sheets to add colour to the project. The right hand shows a single panel against daylight.

View attachment 105716

The next project is based on a hexagonal box made by Mike Farrington which I will use to hold pot pourri (next year's Christmas gifts, perhaps).
Trevor, well I'm very impressed with these! Thanks so much for explaining and the pics. My boxfull of 'too small to be useful, but just can't throw away' now have a purpose! Well I'm going to have to get the book now aren't I! (I will of course blame you when hubby sees another craft book appear😂😂)

Hi. My name is Trevor and I am a Kumiko addict. Since I discovered my first YouTube video on Kumiko early on during lockdown, it has taken over my waking hours.

Ok, I exaggerate considerably but I have got a lot of enjoyment from several kumiko inspired projects over the last 10 months. I don't find it too samey - certainly no more than a lot of woodworking processes might appear to be samey. What I would same is that it is time consuming but the satisfaction of the final result, for me, is ample reward. Almost equal tot he satisfaction of the finished object is the creation of successful jigs to aid preparation and completion of the projects.

I have used both lime and maple for the kumiko strips as well odd bits of interesting hardwood scraps for occasional accents. The lime is very nice to use with hand tools and the maple cuts well with jigs on the table saw.

The first project was a small side lamp.

View attachment 105712

The next project design was inspired by Des King whose videos were the start of my voyage of discovery. This is a 'Coaster Panel'.

View attachment 105713

I forget for the source of inspiration for the display stand below

View attachment 105714

The following tealight shades served as last year's Christmas gifts for the family. Used with an LED tealight they are very effective (and safe).

View attachment 105715

Finally, I made a ceiling shade for our dining room. In this I used cellophane wrapping sheets to add colour to the project. The right hand shows a single panel against daylight.

View attachment 105716

The next project is based on a hexagonal box made by Mike Farrington which I will use to hold pot pourri (next year's Christmas gifts, perhaps).
Could you suggest something VERY simple as my first project? Best YT channel? I lack patience, which maybe a problem

Could you suggest something VERY simple as my first project? Best YT channel? I lack patience, which maybe a problem
To answer your question, it does depend on whether you have a preference for hand tools, machines or a mixture of both. The quickest way to get started would be to buy a starter set such as that provided by Mike Pekovich in the video above that includes the prepared strips and the necessary jigs.

Assuming you prefer not to spend on ready made jigs, the simplest project would be something like the tealight surrounds I made where all the joints are at 90 degrees. When you get into the infill patterns as in Mike P's video above then you need some way of putting bevels of varying degrees on the pieces. I've used two methods. One using blocks and a chisel like Mike P uses above and the other uses a set of jigs I made for use with a disc sander.

The other consideration is how you make the strips. Again, I have tried various methods using a table saw, a track saw and a laborious process using a band saw and planer (i.e. preparing a board using the planer-thicknesser then ripping a strip of both edges of the board, then replaning both edges before cutting the next pair of strips). The bandsaw method involves cutting the strip slightly over size and refining the surface cut on the bandsaw to get the final thickness.

I'll create a new thread in the Projects forum to go into more detail and show the jigs that I've made and link to the various YouTube videos that have inspired each method. This may take a while but the jigs are key to making Kumiko and deciding on your preferred approach to your first project.

I would recommend the journey, but it is 'down a rabbit hole' if you're not careful :)

The Mother in law has been going on about wanting a wooden light pull for a while now so with it being Mothering Sunday I took the opportunity to turn one from rippled Sycamore.
2C8913C8-0F1B-4B60-9D03-7F57C5BB8F95.jpeg

Obviously not wanting to miss an opportunity I’ve wrapped it in a Pandora bag, ;) sadly with the covid restrictions I’ll not get to see her open it 😂

D80AFA59-E715-4C7D-841A-87B20F066BC2.jpeg

Most impressed with that depiction of a little girl with a balloon, incredible effect just by removing bits of wood here and leaving bits of wood there. Ian

Hi all,

The last thing I made was a much needed hand tool cabinet. Now I just need to fill it up.
Are they 2 different cabinets? Wondered why you made first one in 2 sections? Planning on building one so interested

Hi

It is one cabinet with a separator and then 2 sets of doors. I did this mainly to have more storage space and to make the distinction between the slope of the plane storage and the saw till. It seemed to work really well and the drawers add another layer of handy storage.

Any other questions let me know.

Hi

It is one cabinet with a separator and then 2 sets of doors. I did this mainly to have more storage space and to make the distinction between the slope of the plane storage and the saw till. It seemed to work really well and the drawers add another layer of handy storage.

Any other questions let me know.
It still looks like two/three different cabinets. One picture with two cabinets (one with speed square in and one with chisels. Then one with a divider and drawers. Apologies if I am being a bit dim??

Hopefully these photos will explain. One large back cabinet with a separator and three drawers below. Then a set of doors with the internal panel inset, so I can hang things from both sides. Then an outer door.

Attachments

• PXL_20210316_111032567.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210316_111032567.MP.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 35
  • PXL_20210316_110920276.jpg
    PXL_20210316_110920276.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 35
  • PXL_20210316_110945057.jpg
    PXL_20210316_110945057.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 36
  • PXL_20210316_111011421.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210316_111011421.MP.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 36
  • PXL_20210316_111052967.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20210316_111052967.MP~2.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 35
Hopefully these photos will explain. One large back cabinet with a separator and three drawers below. Then a set of doors with the internal panel inset, so I can hang things from both sides. Then an outer door.
now I get it. The double door design. very goo

Back