Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lady came into the workshop a short while ago with a garden trowel which has sentimental value and asked me to make a new handle for it. I think the old one was beech. New one is olive.

View attachment 102389

New Handle

View attachment 102390

View attachment 102391

Other side of new handle

View attachment 102394

View attachment 102395

Old handle, split with a chisel (didn't take much).

I hope the lady in question likes it when she picks it up.

Neil

I'd suggest you have a chair handy when she returns to pick it up!

Absolutely gorgeous!

Cheers James

I made an English style marking gauge after watching Richard Maguires video about them.
After using it for 6 months I liked it so much I have started to make another 3 to keep it company.

I guessed the dimensions off Richards video, if anyone has an old example I would be interested to know the dimensions.

Cheers

Ed
mg 8.jpg
mg9.jpg

Last edited:
Just curious, did it blunt your tools???

I think the nature of the timber stopped whatever it was treated with from penetrating very deeply.

I didn't notice a dramatic effect on the tools. The thicknesser is fairly new so hasn't had a huge amount of wear before this, but as well as this bit of greenheart, I put four other slices through (both sides, one before cutting in half and one after if that makes sense). Afterwards I did the walnut and it gave a lovely finish straight off the thicknesser, so I can't imagine it's blunt.

The hand plane I used to do the outside of the original block (and remove the coating) also stayed sharp.

I made an English style marking gauge after watching Richard Maguires video about them.
After using it for 6 months I liked it so much I have started to make another 3 to keep it company.

I guessed the dimensions off Richards video, if anyone has an old example I would be interested to know the dimensions.

Cheers

EdView attachment 102409View attachment 102410
Nicely done!
I have a rack full of them and no two are the same size.

Fitted a couple of cupboards for a lady today that I’d made last week, the left hand one covers the electric meter & fuse board, the right houses a miriad of tv & internet boxes.

DBE33302-F0FB-485A-B832-B12A13DF5018.jpeg

The 18mm MR MDF door stiles & rails were grooved for a 6mm panel & jointed with stub tenons, the tops had a mitred front piece added to give the impression of a top thicker than 18mm & also to conceal the cut edge, the frames were just dominoed together.

336B6A97-8551-4A42-A832-4B5B3B11DED1.jpeg

7AF47A16-AA7C-4161-814D-3F79B34F9DC9.jpeg

Fitted a couple of cupboards for a lady today that I’d made last week, the left hand one covers the electric meter & fuse board, the right houses a miriad of tv & internet boxes.

View attachment 102469

The 18mm MR MDF door stiles & rails were grooved for a 6mm panel & jointed with stub tenons, the tops had a mitred front piece added to give the impression of a top thicker than 18mm & also to conceal the cut edge, the frames were just dominoed together.

View attachment 102470

View attachment 102471

Nice, any photos of inside the cabinets?

I'd love to put this up on my wall and when asked, I'd say it's London underground, and confuse the f*** out people.

It will have a load of electronics in it, knobs and sockets and stuff, but all i do is the metal work, paint, wood, and print. Well, basically, i don't do the electronics.

Cheers

EdView attachment 102409View attachment 102410
Very nice Ed, cannot have too many marking gauges. Very handy is one for pencil scribing.

View attachment 102469

View attachment 102470

View attachment 102471
How Peter Millard makes them. Just got a grooving blade for my table saw, so going to make some once I've made cupboards. Nice job

How Peter Millard makes them. Just got a grooving blade for my table saw, so going to make some once I've made cupboards. Nice job
I do mine on the spindle moulder it’s the quickest way I’ve found, cut the slot with an adjustable groover running the rail through twice flipping the rail over so the slot is dead central.

163F74DA-8BC9-48D3-94AB-127E328A5EDA.jpeg

Then place a packer under the rail to cut the tenon, again flipping the rail to cut both cheeks.

BCD8C9D5-2A40-4C22-9B37-FAC98C298BF2.jpeg

Guarding remove for photographic purposes obviously....

Latest posts

Back