Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was tired of the drinks packed/stored all over, so knocked this together quickly... not a show piece, but it works 😎

View attachment 100223

There;'s something really therapeutic about making functional things regardless of their appearance. I often look at some of the cleat holders I've made and think "yeah, given I spend about 8 seconds in the design phase that's turned out really well".

There;'s something really therapeutic about making functional things regardless of their appearance. I often look at some of the cleat holders I've made and think "yeah, given I spend about 8 seconds in the design phase that's turned out really well".
Did initially think to not even draw it out, but then started to space out the shelves on the uprights, and something didn't look right, so went back inside to use trusty SketchUp, and I'm glad I did, as my arithmetic sucked, I missed 10 mm 🤣

Being a full time plumber I decided to combine work with my new found love of woodwork !

Attachments

• 20210102_180126.jpg
    20210102_180126.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 183
Me too, though probably don't see it around as it tarnishes so easily. I've heard that coating it with varnish will prevent that, but have no experience of it - open up the floor for others' to comment?

I love copper! Such a gorgeous colour. FInd it frustrating that it's really hard to find hardware made out of it.

My SWAG† would be that it's a combination of its tendency to tarnish and the fact it's an absolute pig to machine. I think brass is also stronger and a lot of people like the brass colour more.

† Scientific Wild Ar*e Guess

Ah true, not quite as nice when it's green! I'm really not keen on brass, or gold for that matter. Any boxes I make will all have silver-colour fittings.

Me too, though probably don't see it around as it tarnishes so easily. I've heard that coating it with varnish will prevent that, but have no experience of it - open up the floor for others' to comment?
Lived on boats and I used to spray the brass with wax polish to help stop tarnishing. Some folks varnished theirs

a decent hardwax works well for this, best I've tried is peacock wax by skelton saws.

any laquer works, even hair spray, I used to use that for my trumpet and french horn when I was at school.

@Dr Al - are you my dad, he said that just before he went to get a packet of fags and I aint seen him since.

Nothing like what you guys are producing, but my little contribution. Got p****d off with random bits getting in the way on my temporary workbench, so I knocked together some holders for mobile phones, battery charger and randoms. All with bits of wood from the offcuts bin and no great thought.

I then figured, hey if I'm doing this, why not see if I actually remember how to make a dovetail? Lessons learnt - my cheap saw - which is perfectly fine for DIY - just ain't gonna cut it for woodworking. My chisels aren't nearly as sharp as I thought they were. And I'm still the same rush-rush-get-it-done guy I was as a 16 year old in technical school. Only difference now is, I actually want to do it properly, rather than get out to play ball with my mates!

Will serve as good prototypes for when my shed is finished, I have some small bits of recovered mahogany saved away which will do nicely.

Attachments

• 1024-1820.jpg
    1024-1820.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 1024-18201.jpg
    1024-18201.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 2048-1152-max.jpg
    2048-1152-max.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 46
I'll post a pic though its not really finished yet.

Maple and Bubinga mantle.
About 1/2 way done, still bits to add, sanding to do, machining of decorative features and hopefully ,maybe some inset panels in copper

I'll do a thread in 'Projects' when its done and I've all the pics, which im taking at approximate stages to give others how you go about, but from these you can see(Columns excepted) that it's really quite basic in it's construction.
DSCF3980.JPG

Last edited:
Back