Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
boat6.JPG

boat2.JPG

boat3.JPG

Hopefully this post will work OK,. This is a pirate boat sandpit with storage for toys and a cover for the sandpit which converts it into a playboat.

The sentry box garden toolshed. Another thing made from re-purposed materials. An old fence a friend was sending to the dump. The dimensions of the shed were dictated by the 1.8m length of the timber. Fully slated! lol

IMG_7514.JPG

Oak pot with a lid turned on Pole lathe.

Wondering if the Oak would impart flavour to any fluids supped from it, could be a USP....?

It is only about 6" tall so probably better for the ashes of a cremated much loved Hamster or similar small creature.....

Also turned a pestle that works nicely with it - as yet no flavour influences in materials ground - however a very satisfying project.

Turned pot with lid in Oak.jpg

The sentry box garden toolshed. Another thing made from re-purposed materials. An old fence a friend was sending to the dump. The dimensions of the shed were dictated by the 1.8m length of the timber. Fully slated! lol

View attachment 96330
Always satisfying using leftovers and recycled materials. Looks rather like one I grew up using but not as a sentry! By the look of it it would have to be a gents in that case, standing room only or is it really a shed?

Always satisfying using leftovers and recycled materials. Looks rather like one I grew up using but not as a sentry! By the look of it it would have to be a gents in that case, standing room only or is it really a shed?
lol. Dont give me ideas!! I keep the rakes, spades and other garden tools in it. Totally over-designed.

A couple of months BC (before Covid) I resumed my interest in archery (only a 45 year gap :)). Did the course and had a few weeks of fun before lockdown. Just before it all kicked off, I had re-equipped myself with a new bow and associated bits. Needed a stand though and didn't think the modern metal ones really went with what is essentially a poor man's longbow. So I made one. Oak, from bits I had lying about - no metal involved.

DSCF0775.jpg
DSCF0776.jpg
DSCF0777.jpg

A couple of months BC (before Covid) I resumed my interest in archery (only a 45 year gap :)). Did the course and had a few weeks of fun before lockdown. Just before it all kicked off, I had re-equipped myself with a new bow and associated bits. Needed a stand though and didn't think the modern metal ones really went with what is essentially a poor man's longbow. So I made one. Oak, from bits I had lying about - no metal involved.

View attachment 96398View attachment 96399View attachment 96400
That looks good and also a good match. Always a bit of a search involved getting the right stands. I went through quite a few but was never really pleased with any of the commercial ones.
I still have a few bows gathering cobwebs but its been about 10 years since I shot.
Regards
John

My boy wanted to make a table for his friends treehouse. I’d wanted to try this style of splayed staked leg, as I’m going to use it to make a kitchen bench. He helped draw the concept and drill a leg hole then lost interest, hey ho I’ll keep trying.

Was going for something oriental with the legs but not convinced on the final form. It could also do with some kind of brace between the legs as the are only 25mm at the joint and are a bit flexy.

Made from sycamore legs and part of an old Victorian wardrobe shelf for the top, unknown hardwood, finished with osmo uv clear satin.

Angled holes were drilled on the drill press, tenons were cut and shaped by hand. Circles pencilled on the end then sawn and pared back, quite quick and easy.

C&C welcome.

Fitz

7FD585EF-DE2D-4E98-8E97-95BD7F37C85E.jpeg

2F40AD95-F181-4E42-A88E-AE70810EB692.jpeg

BF4BE23C-55F3-499D-B0ED-6F1C9C4193FC.jpeg

Very nice Fitz , I’ve often thought it wouldn’t have been too bad a life being a bodger working in the woods.
Interesting shadow it casts as well. Ian

lol. Dont give me ideas!! I keep the rakes, spades and other garden tools in it. Totally over-designed.
No shame in making things well, imagine a half soaked cobbled together structure, it would drive you mad every time you looked at it or as yet another bit fell off... and you have inspired me to utilise a bunch of roofing slate offcuts I have from a project and could not bear to ditch.... always be sure to hang the rakes or at least place them at the back....... justification read any Beano or Dandy comic and you will quickly see why 😄

I'd be interested in seeing a picture of your set up. Also to hollow the pot what sort of chuck do you use to hold the piece?
The Oak was cleaved from a larger log felled last Spring (2019) so as not to suffer splitting and then it was just turned as a cylinder on a normal pole lathe once I had the shape I liked I turned the lid at the end of the cylinder so it was sized to fit ±. The whole was then removed from the lathe, the ends trimmed with a handsaw and I used a Brace and bit to drill a core hole than used a curved spoon knife to hollow the remainder out. I will post a few pics when I have a moment...

Back