Quantcast

Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

matmac

Established Member
Reaction score
That’s some beautifully scribed sides against the stone there matmac. What method did you use to achieve such accurate results?
Thank you, just a compass and patience. Took me longer than I wanted but I was happy how it all came out. The one piece on the right I had to add a fillet as the stone was so off plumb

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
Heritage glass? What do you mean by that?
Sorry, I meant the low sight line/ slimlite type double glazed units, a few people I deal with just refer to it as heritage glass. The Heritage putty the manufacturer specifies from Hodgson Sealants is a bit sticky to deal with, even using beads I end up with it everywhere :rolleyes:

Rich C

Established Member
Reaction score
I am planning to make a frame for my mother's birthday; she asked for a nice framed photo, so I thought I'd go with a hand made frame (in walnut) to boot.
This is not that, this is a practice frame I made from some oak offcuts I had lying around. A useful learning process, I'm fairly happy, but there is room for improvement.

I went for contrasting splines in birch. They are not contrasting once finished. They probably would be against walnut though. Also, I think I will mark for my splines with a pencil not a knife next time as removing the marks was a pain.

NickVanBeest

UKW Supporter
Reaction score
As my shed is a wee bit small, I needed to get the shopvac out to have room to maneuver a bit more, so whipped up this little side-shed yesterday:

20200915_140731.jpg

Made with left-overs from the shed build, glad I hadn't yet got rid of it!

Busy padding it with acoustic foam, so neighbours won't get too much noise (and neither will I!)

Cabinetman

Established Member
Reaction score
Nice one Doris, I wouldn’t have the faintest idea where to start on making something like that, I think it’s worth a load of photos on how you made it if you have them, How to hold it for one thing – or is that why you’ve always got your blood on everything (previous post somewhere) ha ha
Ps just realised that’s Zigby on your profile photo – he is a full-size one isn’t he!

Beau

Established Member
Reaction score
Bit of an odd one but got asked to make part of a praxinoscope and incase you like me you dont know what they this is one I found on youtube
. Someone had a go but it wasn't even remotely true when spun so I had to get it spot on to make a happy customer. I only made up the rosewood and cherry surround and client did the rest. Not my taste but they were happy
DSC07364.jpg

Nigel Burden

Established Member
Reaction score
Sat here resting a badly sprained ankle done yesterday whilst exercising the daughters hound, I thought I'd post a photo of a Spear & Jackson tenon saw that I cut down, filed off, and resized the teeth to 16 tpi, and re handled, making it into a dovetail saw. Setting the teeth was a slow job as they're about on the limit for my aging eyes.

IMG_0450.JPG

IMG_0451.JPG

Nigel.

Doris

Established Member
Reaction score
Nice one Doris, I wouldn’t have the faintest idea where to start on making something like that, I think it’s worth a load of photos on how you made it if you have them, How to hold it for one thing – or is that why you’ve always got your blood on everything (previous post somewhere) ha ha
Ps just realised that’s Zigby on your profile photo – he is a full-size one isn’t he!
Thanks. Unfortunately no consistent WIP photos of this one but this one was using method from the past two rocking horses I built they're on instructables and the woodworker magazines a few years back. He was indeed full size. The customer (who commissioned it) quite easily rode it before he went off to his new home

Cabinetman

Established Member
Reaction score
Wonderful, isn’t it a terrific feeling when your customer claps eyes on the finished project. I shall have to look that up as I have a grandson on the way, my first. I know it’s difficult to say, approximately how many weeks work in one of these rocking animals?

Doris

Established Member
Reaction score
Wonderful, isn’t it a terrific feeling when your customer claps eyes on the finished project. I shall have to look that up as I have a grandson on the way, my first. I know it’s difficult to say, approximately how many weeks work in one of these rocking animals?
Approximately a month if you work 5 days on it

sammy.se

Established Member
Reaction score
I needed something very simple to hold workpieces when sanding or cutting with the track saw, that didn't get in the way:

Made from scrap:

20200922_093359.jpg

25mm hole for the top half of the bench dogs:

20200922_094446.jpg

Add dowels as a lever:
20200922_095039.jpg

And done in about 15 mins!
20200922_095223.jpg

20200922_095627.jpg

Lesson learned: The offset of the 25mm centre hole is too big, and sometimes you don't get that nice tight friction cramping action - it just pushes the workpiece. The next iteration will have the offset only a few mm off-centre.

Latest posts