Possible to buy from Lee valley direct?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuptonM

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if its possible to buy direct from lee valley in america? If so how much do they quote for postage roughly?
The LA jack costs £136 direct and £240 here

Practically day light robbery

Yes, but you have to factor in p&p costs. Then you'll, in all probability, get a bill from your courier for the VAT (on the cost of the plane and the cost of shipping, IIRC). Plus, depending on the carrier, their surcharge for collecting the VAT.

It will still work out cheaper buying direct, but it'll probably still set you back over £200. My local tool dealer will give me 15% off any Veritas product - might be worth looking for a local Brimarc dealer. The smaller shops are more likely to be negotiable - don't even bother trying to negotiate with Axminster.

Cheers

Karl

I've emailed them.

Anyone know the low down on this import duty and vat (like the rates they charge)?

I have just bought this directly from them. https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/veri ... 45049.html

I emailed them for a quote, they replied giving four postage options. I then just telephoned them to place the order stating which postage option that I wanted.

Also before ordering I contacted HMRC to find out what the duty charges were and what the duty code was. This will be dependent upon what you are buying, and in my case it was 2.7% on top of the purchase cost, plus VAT @17.5%. I contacted HMRC as the carriers often have a tendency to be incorrect when it comes to this.

The goods arrived faster than had I ordered from many a UK based company.

LuptonM":1zigeccu said:
I've just found a import and duty calculator
http://www.dutycalculator.com/

it says the total would come to £216 if postage was £36

Still a saving of £25

Could get a extra blade for the same price it costs in the UK

why not find a local dealer and see if they'll do some sort of deal ,

we should all do our best to support UK business and tool dealers to keep our hobby alive.

That's what I said earlier - I know that I could walk into my local tool shop and get it for £205. Cheaper than buying direct from LV.

Cheers

Karl

My son lives in San Francisco. An LV Jack accidently fell in to his luggage when he came home recently and he gave it to me as a gift. It cost him £154. :whistle:

RogerM":27s73f0j said:
My son lives in San Francisco. An LV Jack accidently fell in to his luggage when he came home recently and he gave it to me as a gift. It cost him £154. :whistle:

Nice :wink: ...no stopping you now Rog, great piece of kit - Rob

I used to buy quite frequently from the parent company 'Fixings and Power Tools Direct' but after a quick Google, it appears that although the old shop locations are still detailed, the website isn't. I guess that selling solely from the net has made the shops redundant?

I can't see that you would have any issues ordering from them.

Lee Valley is a Canadian Co. and I am pretty sure everything comes from there - they do not have any outlets in the States?

They price in US or Canadian Dollars.

A few years ago everything I ordered via their postal service managed to get through with no extras but lately everything I have had sent from abroad seems to incur some charges so I tend not to bother anymore?
Even $18 of pen refills cost me an extra £12 in charges!! :evil:

Rod

When I said do u think the prices are out of date I was referring to powertooldirect (since they list it for £193)

I've already calculated that from Lee Valley direct it would cost £214 (including taxes ect)

Rutlands is £233 ish including postage

Axminster and others £239

Karl does that shop you mention have a website or telephone number?

I think its less hassle to order from the UK so I'll explore that route b4 ordering from Lee Valley

I really hate import tax and duty as well. We get taxed for anything. You can't essentially live without being taxed its hilarious. I think they should tax dead people for taking up viable land fill space

Harbo":3lqg3cf8 said:
Lee Valley is a Canadian Co. and I am pretty sure everything comes from there - they do not have any outlets in the States?

They price in US or Canadian Dollars.

A few years ago everything I ordered via their postal service managed to get through with no extras but lately everything I have had sent from abroad seems to incur some charges so I tend not to bother anymore?
Even $18 of pen refills cost me an extra £12 in charges!! :evil:

Rod

No quite Rod. Yep, LV are indeed Canadian but outside Canada all their shipping comes out of a rather large warehouse at Ogdensburg in upstate NY.
And as you say, LV retail outlets only in Canada.

Back