Possible purchase... Info needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought one of these in about 2009 or 2010 because I needed a longer bed length than my previous lathe. It's been used regularly for furniture based spindle work, and has been a reliable and accurate machine.

I'm secretary of East Yorkshire Woodturners Cub based in Skidby to the west of Hull. The Nova DVR-XP lathe came out in 2005 and we purchased one (with lottery funding) in 2008, We meet once a month and until the pandemic stopped us in our tracks, we had a programme of professional demonstrators each month. Hence, over the 11 years the lathe has been in use for 130 3-hr demonstrations - about 400 hours of use. Probably less than an enthusiastic hobbyist would use it for over that time. Nevertheless, it's been used by many demonstrators, some of whom own one themselves. Additionally, several members own them. Over the years, I've heard no adverse comments about reliability.

A few points to mention: Nova is a brand of a New Zealand company 'Teknatool', founded in 1956, whose products were originally made in NZ. However, in 2005, shortly after the DVR-XP lathe was introduce, they bought a New Zealand owned factory in Qindao in China, where they do their own quality control. Record Power became their UK distributor - I guess trading on its reputation as a household name in the UK, but had no part in the manufacture of the lathe.

COMPANY TIMELINE - NOVA

Though the lathe operates on AC mains, the 'direct drive' motor is 3-phase with an inverter and speed controller built into the headstock. Our initial concerns were that once out of warranty, if the motor or electronics failed, it could effectively make the lathe beyond economic repair. In reality, we know of no failures. The direct drive motor is described as having 'variable speed reluctance motor technology, with superior performance over AC or DC motors. No power loss due to belt drives and no belts changes needed. Speed variable from 100 - 3,500 RPM'. The motor is maintenance free, brushless and has no rotor windings - the rotor is solid steel. The spindle in the headstock is supported by three bearings. A safety feature is that if you have a dig-in' the electronics will stop the lathe instantly, then it can be re-set.

The swing over bed is 16 inches (400mm) and the head can be swivelled to use and 'outrigger' for larger turning diameters using the outrigger accessory. A point to bear in mind is that for the UK, the spindle thread was 1.1/4 " x 8TPI,, for Europe was M33 x 3.5. A point to bear in mind if you already have chucks. The tailstock and headstock are 2MT. 1,000 Euros if it comes with accessories and has had little use sounds about right. A club member recently bought one that had had quite a lot of use for £600.

The DVR-XP was superseded some time ago by the Galaxi DVR-XP 1624-44, which costs about £2,300:

Nova GALAXI DVR 1624-44 Variable Speed Lathe : Stiles & Bates

Hope that helps.
Many thanks for the lathe information, I can happily say I purchased it today, just couldn't pass it up.... The seller kindly threw in the stand, a supernova 2 chuck, 2 faceplates, a bed extension (and swing away) also a box of brand new Axminster chisels, the lathe has never been used due to him sadly getting arthritis in his hands. Hopefully I'll have no electronic issues, thanks again.

I'm secretary of East Yorkshire Woodturners Cub based in Skidby to the west of Hull. The Nova DVR-XP lathe came out in 2005 and we purchased one (with lottery funding) in 2008, We meet once a month and until the pandemic stopped us in our tracks, we had a programme of professional demonstrators each month. Hence, over the 11 years the lathe has been in use for 130 3-hr demonstrations - about 400 hours of use. Probably less than an enthusiastic hobbyist would use it for over that time. Nevertheless, it's been used by many demonstrators, some of whom own one themselves. Additionally, several members own them. Over the years, I've heard no adverse comments about reliability.

A few points to mention: Nova is a brand of a New Zealand company 'Teknatool', founded in 1956, whose products were originally made in NZ. However, in 2005, shortly after the DVR-XP lathe was introduce, they bought a New Zealand owned factory in Qindao in China, where they do their own quality control. Record Power became their UK distributor - I guess trading on its reputation as a household name in the UK, but had no part in the manufacture of the lathe.

COMPANY TIMELINE - NOVA

Though the lathe operates on AC mains, the 'direct drive' motor is 3-phase with an inverter and speed controller built into the headstock. Our initial concerns were that once out of warranty, if the motor or electronics failed, it could effectively make the lathe beyond economic repair. In reality, we know of no failures. The direct drive motor is described as having 'variable speed reluctance motor technology, with superior performance over AC or DC motors. No power loss due to belt drives and no belts changes needed. Speed variable from 100 - 3,500 RPM'. The motor is maintenance free, brushless and has no rotor windings - the rotor is solid steel. The spindle in the headstock is supported by three bearings. A safety feature is that if you have a dig-in' the electronics will stop the lathe instantly, then it can be re-set.

The swing over bed is 16 inches (400mm) and the head can be swivelled to use and 'outrigger' for larger turning diameters using the outrigger accessory. A point to bear in mind is that for the UK, the spindle thread was 1.1/4 " x 8TPI,, for Europe was M33 x 3.5. A point to bear in mind if you already have chucks. The tailstock and headstock are 2MT. 1,000 Euros if it comes with accessories and has had little use sounds about right. A club member recently bought one that had had quite a lot of use for £600.

The DVR-XP was superseded some time ago by the Galaxi DVR-XP 1624-44, which costs about £2,300:

Nova GALAXI DVR 1624-44 Variable Speed Lathe : Stiles & Bates

Hope that helps.
Hi Yorkiguy, quick question... Is it necessary to realign the centres every time the headstock has been moved to outboard and back again? it's something I was told. Cheers

Mine has a lever at the base of the headstock that you lift when turning the head outboard & the lever clicks into place when the head is moved back.
I do tend to bring the tail stock up to the headstock with centres installed to check alignment but I don’t remember it ever not centring back on the lever.

Mine has a lever at the base of the headstock that you lift when turning the head outboard & the lever clicks into place when the head is moved back.
I do tend to bring the tail stock up to the headstock with centres installed to check alignment but I don’t remember it ever not centring back on the lever.
Great 👍 thanks

If you really need to verify the alignment Nova has a double ended #2 Morse Taper for the job. You can also find similar ones from other sources. put the taper into both head and tailstocks and lock them down.

Pete

If you really need to verify the alignment Nova has a double ended #2 Morse Taper for the job. You can also find similar ones from other sources. put the taper into both head and tailstocks and lock them down.

Pete
Ah yes, I've seen those things 👍

Back