Possible mistake?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garno

Grumpy Old Git
Reaction score
The other day I was looking in ebay for something and somehow ended up looking at lathes. The more I looked the more I wanted one.
I spotted this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wood-Lathe-p ... SwuIVcvLVN

At the time it was cheap so I put a little cheeky bid on it, the problem I now have is that no one has bothered bidding since and that has got me thinking, am I bidding on a lemon? I tend to worry when no one else bids on something that I have when I know absolutely nothing about the item I am bidding on. So I suppose the question I am asking is should I start preying that someone else bids or start hoping no one else does.

I hate Ebay !!!

it is certainly a citrus fruit of some kind. you will quickly find its limitations, probably when you try and get a chuck for it.

It's a Draper brand. If it works at all it's got to be good value for money at that price. Could be good for a beginner.

It looks very similar to my lathe. It was widely available in the 90s badged Nu-tool or Clarke, often with a model number ending in 37, which is the bed length in inches. Mine was from Axminster who stressed at the time that they had upgraded bits such as the motor, the locking handles and the tailstock quill adjuster.
Mine has a 3/4" 16tpi thread on which was pretty common then and still not impossible to find a chuck or faceplate for. Head and tail are both 1 Morse taper.
If you do end up buying it, bolt it down to something level and solid and you may be pleasantly surprised. Mine has been fine for anything from tiny drawer pulls up to a big 6" diameter chunk of oak.

If you end up buying it at that price you will end up with a usable starter lathe for not much money.
If you now wish you had not placed a bid don't worry someone will out bid you just before the auction ends and you will have lost your chance.

phil.p":3nzatsup said:
I think you'lll find it's B&Q.
Chinese then! Axminster, Draper, B&Q, Clarke, Nutool, just sticking on their own labels.

You're going to regret if you buy it and you're going to regret if someone outbids you. You can't win.
I just won an auction for a Record 080 scraper, and I regret it

Osvaldd":35y110tp said:
You're going to regret if you buy it and you're going to regret if someone outbids you. You can't win.
I just won an auction for a Record 080 scraper, and I regret it

Eh?!?
If he regrets placing a bid through impetuous bidding that's one thing. He's come on to find out if it's a mistake. It was as it turns out now he's been informed by the people he was asking (those with more knowledge on the subject). The lathe is a duffer. There's plenty of time for someone else to place a bid and no doubt some will at that price range with any luck. If not he will (probably) take a hit and relist it at some minor cost.
Why would he regret it it if someone outbids him? Not with you and I'm also more curious as to why you regret winning an auction for your Record 80 Scraper? That's a solid hand tool. Maybe if you share details why you are disappointed people can help. If it's short of a blade for example they can be cut from an old saw plate etc. A missing screw? Sorting the blade out is not too hard but it does need a (small) bit of knowledge. I'm no expert and don't pretend be! But there are others on here who are.

"Ask, and it will be given you. Seek, and you will
find. Knock, and it will be opened for you.
For everyone who asks receives. He who seeks
finds. To him who knocks it will be opened."

Religious Disclaimer: I went to an Harvest Festival once when I was at Primary School.
:wink:

@Bm101 I was just being a little cheeky, facetious?
re: No080 plane. No, everything is fine with it, including the price(£15), I just don’t know if I actually need it., thats where regret comes from.

Osvaldd":yuxzcru0 said:
I just don’t know if I actually need it., thats where regret comes from.

It's a really good tool if you can find a use for it, there really isn't a much better bit of kit for stripping off old finishes which is what I will primarily and rarely use one for.

If you were doing fine woodworking and furniture however and you were dealing with more difficult woods with nasty interlocking and wild grain I imagine it would be a daily user.

What Trevanion said. You posted about interlocking grain and BU planes recently. This baby will get you out of trouble instead. You don't need it mind. You could just use a scraper blade and your thumbs. This tool regulates it for bigger surfaces or more regular work. At £15 you've had a touch price wise. You should easily get a bit more than that if you list as 'buy it now'. Keep it. Use it. In 6 months you can sell it if it's gathering cobwebs.
Cheers
Chris

Looks like I've managed to dodge a bullet :D

I have been outbid with 8 hours to go.
Before I bid on a lathe again I will do some research and ask advice from those who know a lot better than I do.

Thanks for all your help, without which I would of no doubt placed another bid :oops:

Gary

If you really want to start, look for a Coronet, an older Record, an Arundel, an ML8 - something that is at least properly built. A 3/4" x 16 and a no.1 MT headstock ideally (unless you happen by a larger machine) as they are easy to get fittings for. If you buy well you can sell it on for a the same as you paid. If you watch evilbay, pay attention to what is actually with the machine - sometimes you'll see a cheap lathe without realising it'll cost four or five times what the lathe cost to get faceplates, centres and a chuck, other times you'll see one that appears a bit expensive, but it'll have twice the money tied up in accessories as in the machine.
Get yourself a copy of - https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Book ... 1-_-image1
it'll give you some idea what to look for in the way of chucks, tools etc. and is, besides, a very good introduction.

Back