Possible can of worms

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am possibly opening a can of worms here but that honestly is not my intention.

Being new to woodturning my wonderful other half or formally known as Mrs G got me the book Woodturning: A Foundation Course (With DVD): Amazon.co.uk: Keith Rowley: 9781784940638: Books I am still reading through it and have noticed a common theme running through it, that is to buy the best you can afford (Chuck, chisels, etc etc) and to keep your chisels both clean and sharp. He basically says the difference between a semi blunt and a sharp chisel are like chalk and cheese, he does actually say that many a new comer has been put off turning due to the chisels not being sharp enough.

3 days ago both myself and Mrs G were given £200 each a total of £400 and we decided to get a sharpener that would not ruin the HSS chisels I have (I have it in my head that it is easy to overheat the ends of chisels). I have now started looking at the ProEdge machines but really do not know just what it is I should be looking for, I am getting very confused over what jigs I would need, for the money I would want the machine to sharpen kitchen knives, normal chisels, drill bits (not that I ever drill things) and most importantly all of the chisels for turning. So far I have come up with this Robert Sorby PED01A ProEdge Deluxe System PED01A – Poolewood

After my feeble woodwork attempts I know I cannot sharpen so much as a pencil by hand, it got to the stage where I would hit the chisels harder with my mallet to compensate for the bluntness, so I need a machine and jigs to take care of that sort of thing. Am I going about all this the wrong way and should save our money and go for something cheap? or should I fire the bullet and go for it? I will be buying at the beginning of January so in the meantime I will put up a wanted request to see if any of the forum members have one laying around.

Thank you for reading this all the way through
Gary
I love my Pro Edge.

So Gary (Garno) have you got it yet and what do you think?

Yes I have it.
Got to say it does look well built and is a lot heavier than I expected.
Still waiting on the knife jigs.
I am still sorting the shed out and have been in bed for the past week.
Once the shed is done I will test it out ;) ;)

Back