Porter Cable Router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all,

The 7529 router has arrived!

I havent run it yet because if I do I can't send it back if I'm not happy with it.

Nice to look at. Build quality looks very good. I like the fence and fence adjustment. Not too sure about the fine height adjustment which is VERY important for me to be able to adjust easily and precisely!

When the router plunges to within 1" or so from max depth it gets very much stiffer and accordingly harder to fine adjust. This for me is where I WANT the easy fine adjustment! The fine adjustment knob access is a bit restricted, ie tight against the body of the router.

The plunge say on a 1/2" Makita is the best I've seen. You can plunge it easily with one finger on each handle, very, very light and smooth and much better than the Porter Cable in this respect. Trouble is the Makita fence is junk!!!

So, there you go! Someone who isnt 100% happy with the revered Porter Cable router!!

All thoughts welcome................

What, you mean you've had it in your hands and didn't get the urge to use it? You must have very strong will power :D

You'll find that like most routers after use it gets easier to plunge it. If I remember it was a bit stiff at first but its fine now.

In my eyes the only bit that lets the 7529 down is the fine height aduster. Don't get me wrong it works good but as you pointed out, can be awkward to turn so thats why I took 5 minutes to make a simple 'aid' (the 7529 Aid - patent pending) with a drill and a block plane:

router01.jpg

router02.jpg

This makes the 7529 perfect. Its works a treat in the router table and even better free hand.

Hope this helps.

Hi Charley,

So with your mods I have little to moan about!

Looks like you've covered both perhaps weak points?

Yes I am very strong willed. I'm afraid the passion for this trade has dwindled a bit over the years!! I DO need to be happy before having it.
Its got to do the job 100% for me.

To digress, having praised the Makita performance and rubbished its fence, I have found a manufacturer of precision micro fences in The US on the internet. They are aftermarket and fit nearly all routers. They look really good. Of course they seem only to be available in the land of better tools. Take a look www.microfence.com.

Yes the PC is a nice quality machine.

Regards

I've got this PC on the kitchen table at the moment.

The plunge IS relatively sticky compared to the very, very, smooth, easy and light action of the Makita. Did you work the Makita in question?

Did your PC improve QUITE ALOT with use?

Would be grateful if you could get back.

Ta

Yes I'm also known as 'Chazster' on other forums including the UKWW group :)

The only Makita router I'ved used is their small 1/4 one and have to admit the plunge was nice and smooth. I remembered that when I first got the 7529 I wasn't happy about the plunge not when I paid £270 for it but it soon got better and when I use it free hand now it just slides down :D

Charley,

Ummmmmmm Ok!

I'm a bit undecided about this.

With the aftermarket micro fence the Makita will be all I want..........
Very heavy duty with lots of capacity. Good local aftersales. More user friendly height adjustment (granted what you did to yours makes it alot better) Nice plunge. All for the same price. Sorry no, the other fence adds maybe £40 - £50.

Are you the ONLY one hereabouts who has a PC?!

Anyone???

Matstro

Sorry to hear you have a dilemma. I know how you feel, tough call and Axminster have a deal on the Makita (319 pounds) at the moment.

I liked the Makita Plunge, could be a bit sloppy though, as I said 'Tough call'..... Having to modify the PC to do the job, defeats the object a little, they should really think that through before they release the product. I would think the Plunge will smooth out some. Does that model have the Plunge Play Adapter?

If you gut feeling doesn't love it. Send it back! Thats my advice anyway.

At that price you have to really love it to death. Did you look at the Hitachi? Again Axminster have a deal on that model too.

Steveprigg,

Thanks for the link info. Not the cheapest price though!

Stevezm,

Yes the PC does have plunge play adjustment apparently.

I went out and bought a Makita 3612C 1/2" this morning!!!
From B+Q so money back if I don't want to use it.

Looking at the PC and Makita side by side. I reckon the Makita is the easiest to use plus its much more powerful and twice the weight.
The PC LOOKS the best one by far, really nice, but its let down by fiddly fine height Ad. and stiff plunge at max. whereas the Makita is super smooth and easy all the way to the bottom. The Makita fence is rubbish but if I get a micro one that will be sorted. My only grouse on the Makita is it has about 0.5 mm play in the plunge bars but that goes once tightenend.

I've now used the Makita, it works well so the PC has to go back I'm afraid, sorry Charley!!!

Paid £234 at B+Q warehouse for the Makita.
Still in stock at the above were at least 4 of those cheap 1/2" routers at £50 each.

Seems strange given how good these PC's are that theres only one person on this and another forum willing to say they have one!!

Regards

ah well, I'm glad you got the router that you wanted 8)

Let us know how you get on with it...

Not only have you got good will power you've also got a local B&Q Warehouse :cry:

Thats just plain mean , sharing that with someone whos just got a normal boring B&Q :evil: :evil: :lol:

Matstro

Didn't you see my note about the sale price at Axminster of the Makita?

Sorry if you didn't. Does the B&Q Router come with the Carry Box

Stevezm,

Yes I saw, but you said £319. I did wonder at the time when I read it!

Checked with Ax. flyer. Aaaarrrgghhh its £219 not £319!

So I've paid £20 too much and no I didnt get a case, which I didnt realise until I got home! It came in a box of the cardboard variety.

Trouble is this thing has dragged on so long, I had a pile of work that could only be done with a 1/2". I just couldnt hang on any longer. B+Q on the doorstep other places overnight.

Looked over the Hitachi, seemed ok but didnt grab me. Good pedigree though. I'm starting to see some horror stories about Makita on another forum, so am hoping for the best!!

Back