Porter Cable router help needed.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonny boy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, i've just bought a PC router off ebay. It's a 'D' handle router and is fitted with a three pin standard 240v plug but the cable is the American wires, (black-positive, white-neutral, and a green earth). The seller can't tell me if the router was from the U.S. or a C.E. model. I don't want to plug it into the mains if it should have a 110v plug fitted and used with a transformer instead. Any help appreciated.

jonathan.

Does it not tell you on the information plate on the machine, if not did an instruction book come with it?.

I do have a PC router and it tells me on the plate that it is 240V.

I don't think it's a good idea to buy something that the seller can't answer the questions.

Hi,

If its already got a 13A plug on plug it in, and if it goes bang send it back, if you fitted it check the plate on the side it should say the voltage.

Pete

I have a dewalt router sent from the states and it does say the voltage on the plate, but this PC one doesn't have a plate on. It hasn't been abused because it's virtually brand new. Is it a good idea to firstly fit it with a 110v plug and try it with a 110 transformer. If it doesn't workwith that, then it will be a 240 won't it?

jonathan.

Sorted. It is indeed a 240v router. I have just tried it on a transformer and while it worked, the motor ran really slow. Then with a 240v three pin plug fitted, full speed. I am a little suprised though, i knew that porter cable tools had a varied range available in the UK but not the 'D' handle router. Not bad for £43 either.

jonathan.

Back