Portable workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFFF

Established Member
Reaction score
I have acquired A set of collapsible aluminium trestles that are fully height adjustable. So, was thinking about making a portable workbench that I can get in the back of my truck. The detachable bench surface needs to be light but stiff and hard wearing. I was thinking about using the sheeting that is used on collapsible towers. The brown flooring stuff that almost looks like bakelite (showing my age). Might need a bit of trussing with cls to stiffen it up.
Does anybody know the name of this stuff and where it can be purchased from?

Hi not sure what you’re referring to with a collapsible tower, but I think it’s quite likely the stuff you’re looking for is Phenolic plywood, it’s often used for trailer bases. Ian

Hi not sure what you’re referring to with a collapsible tower, but I think it’s quite likely the stuff you’re looking for is Phenolic plywood, it’s often used for trailer bases. Ian
Thank you Ian, that's the stuff

Any larger wood merchant should stock it.

Also called buffalo board.

Often offcuts come up on eBay.

Cheers James

I have a small lightweight tower and I don't think the floor is ply, it is too lightweight. I'm sure mine is a form of plastic.

A torsion box is the lightest and stiffest way to go. Two sheets of thin plywood separated by a grid of light wood pieces. Spruce, pine, luan type of thing.

Pete

A torsion box is the lightest and stiffest way to go. Two sheets of thin plywood separated by a grid of light wood pieces. Spruce, pine, luan type of thing.

Pete
Petes right that would do it, you could save pratting about though and just get an egg box door with an extra sheet of ply on it.

Something like this perhaps? I made this with 12mm ply and 18mm MDF for the top.

Attachments

• A39BA005-E3C5-45DA-95D2-464862EA0058.jpeg
    A39BA005-E3C5-45DA-95D2-464862EA0058.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 5
Personally I think a Paulk benchtop here is a tad overkill for the back of the van, over the years I’ve had several bench tops that go on trestles when on site all made from offcuts of MDF.
As @AFFF said a couple of pieces of cls is plenty to give rigidity here’s mine being pressed into platform service

4259F4A4-2A09-47E4-9A3A-FE5EDF179859.jpeg

I have one in use for years now. It’s half a narrow egg box door (left over from making doors into an eaves storage) with 1/2” ply on top and 3x1 PAR around the sides. Light, flat, rigid and pretty sturdy.

Back