Portable workbench for cutting sheet material

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichD1

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for simple ideas to create a workbench for cutting thin sheet materials. Heavier stuff like 18mm and 25mm I just rest on some CLS across some trestles as this will support itself. But thin sheet needs full support underneath to make good cuts with the plunge saw.

Any suggestions need to be compact and portable as room in the workshop is at a premium. I normally cut outside if the weather is dry but I can just fit an 8 x 4 in the workshop if all the machines are tidied up and put back against the walls.

Richard

I think a lot of people use a sheet of King span to rest the ply on and then cut slightly into the King span with their circular saw, so presumably you could put the King span on your trestles as per normal, never done it but somebody will be along in a minute to tell you how thick a piece you need. 50mm? Ian

Problem with that is I haven't got anywhere to store an 8 x 4 sheet of Celotex.

Having given it some more thought I think my best solution would be to use my existing 8' CLS beams between the trestles and then cut some CLS crossbeams for the 4' width. One of the crossbeams could be positioned close to the cut line providing a solid surface to cut against.

Richard

Combine the best ideas you like from 3 places into your own design:
1. The Walko workbench from the Netherlands. It opens out into a flat platform that can support an 8x4 for cutting. It supports the sheet on sacrificial plastic strips that are cut by the sawblade (normally set for a cut just a few mm thicker than the sheet)
2. Lightweight cutting tables bolted together out of alloy extrusions, with sacrificial supports on top made of strips of thin (say 6mm) MDF on edge instead of the plastic used by Walko)
(see a thread called "fun with 8020" or some such on the Festool Owners Group
3. Folding trestles like the Toughbuilt C700. Setup a pair of these with timbers in between and you can have a support for 8x4 sheets setup on your drive in under 5 minutes and folds up for storage. Fastena few of those sacrificial strips on edge across a frame like this and you've just made a strong / collapsible / muti use cutting and assembly work table.

How about ripping a sheet of 12mm ply into 6" strips length wise.

4 of these would be lengthways with notches cut out for the 8 crossways supports notched likewise?

That way the plywood would be supported every 12" in either direction.

A bungee could hold it flat packed whilst not in use or 4 x 4" 6mm bolts and wing nuts.

Cheers James

These tressles are good, ToughBuilt TOU-C650/2 Adjustable Saw Horse/Trestle Table Twin Pack

They completely fold up and have a carry handle, legs adjust to cover uneven ground and with two lengths of 4 by 2 that drop into slots you have a sturdy frame on which to cut sheet goods.
They've also got the C700 twin pack for just £11 more
https://www.ffx.co.uk/product/Get/T...se-Adjustable-Jobsite-Trestle-Table-Twin-PackThe C700 has a few extra features that, IMO, make them well worth the extra

Comparison of models at Sawhorses — TOUGHBUILT

Here's two basic ideas to take away,which might be worth consideration.
Taken from this thread titled 'all replies on workbench smackdown'
Screenshot from 2020-10-10 07-40-38.png

Screenshot from 2020-10-10 07-41-01.png

Screenshot-2020-10-29 All Replies on Work bench smack down LumberJocks com ~ woodworking commu...png

Use Kreg horses also come with a clamp in a sliding channel for other uses.
Have put a MFT top between them as a portable or semi permanent workbench

I've a pair of Bora Centipedes of differing sizes which each take a MFT type top. The Centipedes clip on to the tops (via some 13mm pipe clips) for storage and also for easy transport as the top and legs are both together. Neither are overly large by themselves, but they can be positioned to fully support an 8x4 sheet.

Back