Popular Woodworking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My August issue also arrived today. I've had 2 Octobers, no Nov yet, but I suppose I can look forward to receiving September's as a Christmas surprise, can I?
I'm astonished they can run a business this way.
I wonder if our American friends here have the same problems with domestic deliveries?

I agree about the drill-press fence & skete-wheels. Very good. A bit galling really, as one I wrote for GW a good while back, but never got published, has seen the light of day again in the office. I hope Nick has it on his schedule of stuff to find a slot for, but I'm the first to admit that its not as good as this design. Or Tony's for that matter. Still, cheap and simple, and adequate for most jobs. Someone, somewhere, should find it useful, I hope.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve

Steve Maskery":38enrojk said:
My August issue also arrived today. I've had 2 Octobers, no Nov yet, but I suppose I can look forward to receiving September's as a Christmas surprise, can I?

I think they call it a bi-monthly magazine for a reason. :lol:

Cheers
Neil

Newbie_Neil":yj144mdn said:
I think they call it a bi-monthly magazine for a reason. :lol:

Well, bi-monthly-ish :).

Last year they published August, November, December. This year they've done August, October and November. In 2003, they did August, October, November *and* December. :roll:

Como was the winner of this round of the 'PWW' duplicate comp, although it sounds like there may be yet more spares floating around with other members. I'll bung it in the post tommorow.

-Michael

Hi Pete

Pete W":2ec0qfpi said:
Last year they published August, November, December. This year they've done August, October and November. In 2003, they did August, October, November *and* December. :roll:

Ooops. :oops:

Cheers
Neil (who's just received October)

Hey Neil, no need to blush - anyone could be forgiven for not knowing when the blasted mag is published. I'm not even sure they know.

If we wanted to get technical, I think they'd describe themselves as 'six times a year' rather than bi-monthly. I'm sure they let things spread out a bit in summer when the woodworking market is very quiet, so they can suddenly go monthly-ish to squeeze three issues into the run-up to Christmas

No copy awaited me on my return, so the shirty email has been dispatched. As I was given an "on or before November 11th" arrival date, I suggest anyone else still waiting also gives them a good kick up the posterior. Whether I'll renew my sub is still in the balance; it's just such a pain having to chase up 4 or 5 in every 6 issues. :(

Cheers, Alf

Hi Alf

Alf":3h5620x4 said:
it's just such a pain having to chase up 4 or 5 in every 6 issues.

I've taken to playing the long game. I've stopped chasing them and I just forget about the magazine. Then come the month after the month on the cover, as if by magic, it turns up.

Just amazing.

Cheers
Neil

and as if by magic: a second november issue has turned up.

First PM with address gets the copy.

Cheers

Tim

Gosh - thanks Tim.

That is just about the first time I have won anything! :shock:

I would like to thank my manager, my agent, my fellow woodworkers...... (breaks down in tears....) :D

Would you like me to refund the cost of postage, or would you like to nominate a charity in lieu?

Regards

Gary

Would you like me to refund the cost of postage, or would you like to nominate a charity in lieu?

I think I can stretch to it but if you want to put something to a charity (your nomination) then thats fine by me.

Bear in mind that since its PWW, it may not arrive for another month or so! :roll:

Cheers

Tim

Well I don't know what's going on - but I now have a spare October and November issue to give away. First two PM's get a copy each (please specify if you have a preference for one or the other.)
Cheers
Gidon

I'm going to assume that eventually my November issue will turn up... :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Who received FWW Tools & Shops yesterday, and it doesn't even seem to be on the website yet. ](*,)

October's issue to Neil,
November's issue to Andy.

Wasn't sure about the dovetail article in October's issue - what's so great about his method of cutting them - so he marks them out by eye - big deal. Or am I missing something. (Not knocking his ability to cut dovetails - just was unsure it warranted a 6 page article!)

Cheers

Gidon

gidon":15m20xd6 said:
Wasn't sure about the dovetail article in October's issue - what's so great about his method of cutting them - so he marks them out by eye - big deal. Or am I missing something. (Not knocking his ability to cut dovetails - just was unsure it warranted a 6 page article!)

Klausz is a god in the USA so I think he is practically guaranteed to sell a few extra copies, the fact that this article was almost a word for word reprint of one some years ago in FWW or PW (I forget which), notwithstanding. He also cuts his pins first which is almost certain to provoke a few letters about the merits of pins or tails first! It is actually fun to do it like Klausz and when a set go together that you have cut entirely by eye (except for transferring the pins to the tail board), there is an undeniable feeling of satisfaction.

Didn't realise he was so popular in the US. I did actually try it his way - cutting the pins first - having always done the tails first. It definately had some advantages - but think I'll stick with the way I know best!
Cheers
Gidon

Back