• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Poplar/tulipwood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

bighillman

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been shopping around for poplar/tulipwood. It all seems to me to be moer expensive than it should. Does anybody know how much we should be paying for this?

Sgian Dubh

Established Member
Reaction score
Roughly £18- £22 a cube (depending on your area and availability), plus VAT for rough sawn 1". Slainte.

Allylearm

Established Member
Reaction score
Sgian Dubh":3gle9z4a said:
Roughly £18- £22 a cube (depending on your area and availability), plus VAT for rough sawn 1". Slainte.
Thats reasonable, where you get them prices.

Jonzjob

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Ex nr Carcassonne, S France. Now NW Wilts, UK
The last lot I had was given to me and the guys who had just cut it down even filled the back of our Grand C4 Picaso with lumps :mrgreen: That was about 3 years back along the Canal du Midi ans so far I have had a couple of very nice bowls from it...

tomatwark

Established Member
Reaction score
Sgian Dubh":zmlee5bb said:
For small amounts that is about right.

I normally buy about a cubic meter of mixed thicknesses at a time and pay a little less, it is always worth shopping around though as it depends on what the exchange rate was at the time the importer bought it.

A

Anonymous

i pay 495 plus the vodka and tonic for a cubic metre. (35.3 cubic feet)

Allylearm

Established Member
Reaction score
The way I was thinking I am paying around £110 to £215 per cube for White and Red Pine varied grades from the Baltic. The cheapest white I buy from Ireland as I do have a need for 4x4 and 4x7/8.

So some Tulip at that price floats my boat for some projects I do.

Sgian Dubh

Established Member
Reaction score
Allylearm":63owu0sw said:
Sgian Dubh":63owu0sw said:
Dragon Timber in Leeds-- a bit south of you I'm afraid, but if I recall correctly, one of the fairly recent purchases that came into the workshop was charged at about £19 a cube for 1". Prices of course may have changed over the last few weeks or months. Slainte.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
Sgian Dubh":x1jt136x said:
Allylearm":x1jt136x said:
Sgian Dubh":x1jt136x said:
Dragon Timber in Leeds-- a bit south of you I'm afraid, but if I recall correctly, one of the fairly recent purchases that came into the workshop was charged at about £19 a cube for 1". Prices of course may have changed over the last few weeks or months. Slainte.
Do Dragon keep much hardwood stock- I have not heard of them but they are just down the road from me.

tomatwark

Established Member
Reaction score
Allylearm":1zwf41m9 said:
The way I was thinking I am paying around £110 to £215 per cube for White and Red Pine varied grades from the Baltic. The cheapest white I buy from Ireland as I do have a need for 4x4 and 4x7/8.

So some Tulip at that price floats my boat for some projects I do.
Ally

I guess that is the price per cubic metre, the prices Richard quoted are cubic feet.

In cubic metres this is between £635 and £776.

I paid about £500 for my last order a month ago.

Tom

Sgian Dubh

Established Member
Reaction score
marcros":33zmo0n8 said:
Do Dragon keep much hardwood stock- I have not heard of them but they are just down the road from me.
Not very much of a range as far as I know marcros, but the where I work has been buying from them for quite some time and, because of that I think, they are pretty good at sourcing what we are looking for. Slainte.

Latest posts