Poplar/tulipwood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighillman

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been shopping around for poplar/tulipwood. It all seems to me to be moer expensive than it should. Does anybody know how much we should be paying for this?

Roughly £18- £22 a cube (depending on your area and availability), plus VAT for rough sawn 1". Slainte.

Sgian Dubh":zmlee5bb said:
Roughly £18- £22 a cube (depending on your area and availability), plus VAT for rough sawn 1". Slainte.

For small amounts that is about right.

I normally buy about a cubic meter of mixed thicknesses at a time and pay a little less, it is always worth shopping around though as it depends on what the exchange rate was at the time the importer bought it.

i pay 495 plus the vodka and tonic for a cubic metre. (35.3 cubic feet)

The way I was thinking I am paying around £110 to £215 per cube for White and Red Pine varied grades from the Baltic. The cheapest white I buy from Ireland as I do have a need for 4x4 and 4x7/8.

So some Tulip at that price floats my boat for some projects I do.

Allylearm":63owu0sw said:
Sgian Dubh":63owu0sw said:

Thats reasonable, where you get them prices.
Dragon Timber in Leeds-- a bit south of you I'm afraid, but if I recall correctly, one of the fairly recent purchases that came into the workshop was charged at about £19 a cube for 1". Prices of course may have changed over the last few weeks or months. Slainte.

Sgian Dubh":x1jt136x said:
Allylearm":x1jt136x said:
Sgian Dubh":x1jt136x said:

Thats reasonable, where you get them prices.
Dragon Timber in Leeds-- a bit south of you I'm afraid, but if I recall correctly, one of the fairly recent purchases that came into the workshop was charged at about £19 a cube for 1". Prices of course may have changed over the last few weeks or months. Slainte.

Do Dragon keep much hardwood stock- I have not heard of them but they are just down the road from me.

Allylearm":1zwf41m9 said:
The way I was thinking I am paying around £110 to £215 per cube for White and Red Pine varied grades from the Baltic. The cheapest white I buy from Ireland as I do have a need for 4x4 and 4x7/8.

So some Tulip at that price floats my boat for some projects I do.

Ally

I guess that is the price per cubic metre, the prices Richard quoted are cubic feet.

In cubic metres this is between £635 and £776.

I paid about £500 for my last order a month ago.

Tom

marcros":33zmo0n8 said:
Do Dragon keep much hardwood stock- I have not heard of them but they are just down the road from me.
Not very much of a range as far as I know marcros, but the where I work has been buying from them for quite some time and, because of that I think, they are pretty good at sourcing what we are looking for. Slainte.

Latest posts

Back