pope falcon frog seriously out of flat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi i was wondering how do u fix a frog thats seriously out of flat? hammer it on an anvil? against the ground? ...bend it? i only found out about this nasty surprise after i took it home from the flee market!

i would think hitting a frog with a hammer will probably crack the casting eventually (and make it croak loudly) :lol:. i think the way to do it is to flatten it on some sand paper stuck on a flat surface.

adidat

c when its got a bump in it theres no way of making it steady as u sand it, its gonna b unstable. If it had a hollow then i wouldnt mind so much cuz its stable.

enterthedragon":3chyom1a said:
c when its got a bump in it theres no way of making it steady as u sand it, its gonna b unstable. If it had a hollow then i wouldnt mind so much cuz its stable.

Clamp the frog in a vise and flat file the high spots.

Is the frog cast iron? IIRC some later Pope planes had aluminium or die-cast frogs (can't remember which).

Cheers, Vann.

Find a local model engineer with a milling machine, easy job to fly cut it flat. I could do it for you but you're too far away!

When I recently flattened a frog , I used a coarse stone on a non slip rubber mat. Then flattened it by stages that would circumvent the bump, (in my case a non removable piece of adjuster yolk). Just treat each flat surface as a separate entity and then level them to each other. I hope that makes some sense , would have been easier had I some photos , but alas no camera at present.

Back