POP UP ADS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I don't know if anyone else has been plagued with pop up ads but I have just found the cure and it is bliss.If anyone wants to know the cure let me know, its a very simple process

Popups are the scourge of the internet made worst since advertising revenue plummeted 90% in 6 months between 1999 & 2000.
Windows XP came with 'Messenger' not to be confused with MSN messenger. This was no problem at 1st but as more advertisers pay for 'Messenger' popups they have become a nightmare for XP users.

There is the cure for Messenger popups within XP. Open the Control Panel from the Start menu. In Category mode click on Performance then Maintenance. Click on Administrative Tools then double click Services. Scroll down the right hand list & double click the Messenger entry. Click the Stop button & select Disable from the Startup menu. Click OK to apply. You should no longer be bothered with these popups

I hope this helps some people.

Hey Dewy,

Cheers for that. Recently getting Messenger pop ups, something about overload etc. What's that all about? Norton looks after everything else.
Anyway, off to disable the cursed things.

Rgds

Noel

You can see under my signature what I do on the 'net Noely.
The program has a subscription service for those who want to stop the adverts & popups that pay for the free service. So many complained they got popups after paying to stop them that we now pass those instructions to them. They originally blame the program but it's microsnot that causes them.

You could try having a look at Steve Gibson's website - www.grc.com - he's spent much of his career looking for the flaws in Windows software and producing patches for them - lots of info there about the more sinister side of 'open ports' and other 'features' that ship with new software

jimmer

At least a career finding flaws in Windows software guarantees a job for life. :lol:

Back