Pop Rivet question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Losos

Established Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this is in the wrong section. I have two pop rivet tools, I don't use them much but when I do I would prefer to use the Spirulux model which is much better nade than the Sealy one but there is a problem.

It seems that all rivets are now sold in metric sizes and I assume that this applies to the mandrell (I hope that is the right term for the bit that gets pulled through and breaks off) a quick Google search indicates that suppliers very rarely mention the mandrel size.

My Spirulux tool has mandrell nozzles in Imperial sizes and the metric rivets don't fit. It's very important that the mandrell fits the nozzle precisely or it will jam and cause a lot of swearing :roll:

Is it possible to get Imperial size pop rivets now :?:

I am pretty sure they are not made of hardened steel so you could possibly drill the imperial ones out to metric...

Just a thought...

Or...they must be dirt cheap on FleaBay...even good ones...perhaps it might be easier to upgrade to metric.

Jim

I have around half a dozen pop riveters (don't ask). Most of them use the same thread for the 'nozles' so are interchangable.

Perhaps you could do the same.

I've had several in the past.

I presently have a Stanley 61-506 'pliers' type of hand riveter, and a Draper lazy-tongs type:

41KTMQBCVKL._SL160_AA160_.jpg

The Draper one is miles better in every respect, and doesn't seem very fussy about the size of rivet shaft it's asked to grip.

The Stanley one OTOH is as fussy as anything. I've stripped it and cleaned it and oiled it and so on, but it either sticks to the rivet shaft or slips - it's never quite right. I only ever use it now for corners the big one can't get into, and usually end up swearing at it. When it gets stuck, you usually can't get it off the rivet either which makes a simple process a PITA.

It probably doesn't help much, but I'd look for a good one and buy it - you won't regret it.

You can still buy imperial size rivits they are just sold in metric sizes eg 2.4mm, 3.2mm and 4.8mm are readily available and equal to 3/32", 1/8" and 3/16"

Jason

Rivets are sold by the head diameter as opposed to the pin diameter (and usually sold in the metric equivalent of their imperial ancestors as jason mentioned).

The pin dia. isn't all that important as the jaws that pull the pin automatically clamp tightly and pull it through until it pops. Therefore that's all that is required is that the hole at the front of the riveter is such that it lets the pin through and that it's front face provides enough support to the aluminium for the pin to be pulled and for the head to be squashed.

Sorry if that sounds complicated, it really shouldn't but it's been a long day at school.

Cheers

Aled

Not quite sure if one can do 'multiquote' on here so I'll just reply with each name:-
Jimi43 - I didn't think of drilling them out :oops: Good idea, I might give it a go.
Jamesc - Unfortunately the Spiralux & Sealy threads do seem to be different, I will have another go just to be sure 'tho.
Eric (The Viking) - Thank God I'm not the only one :lol: I've done the same as you with the Sealy and maybe the Stanley is the same design, there are two wedge shaped things in the nose and almost every time they jam up and won't release the pin :x Like you I've oiled it, cleaned it, spat on it :) yet still it jams (mostly on the larger sizes) I've given up and that's why I wanted to concentrate on the Spiralux tool.
JasonB - I have a few imperial rivets I'll try to find the 'loose' fit Sealy nozzle but as mentioned above the Sealy seems to jam even when using the metric rivets :!:
Aled Dafis - Thanks, actually I do understand what you are saying, maybe I should have binned the Sealy tool and just used metric rivets with a pin which was a 'loose' fit in the imperial Spiralux nozzles.

Thanks for all your replies guys, if I wasn't such a tight buttocks I would have gone out and bought another one by now :roll: I might well do that anyway as I found that Spiralux do one which does pop rivets and drawnuts in the same tool which would be handy :)

It's amazing the time that you can spend trying to get a rubbish design (Like the Sealy tool) to work properly. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back