Poor grasp of Geography by ebay and couriers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
skelph":10qapa73 said:
Some good ideas so far but none that address the problem of being unable to place a bid in the first place because of the postcode restriction. The other question is - how do I report this "bug" to ebay?

I share your pain, but I DO live on a Scottish Island (Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides), and I'm sorry to hear that you get the same treatment that I do.

What really annoys me with some other eBay sellers is when they want to charge me extra for postage and packing (fair enough, I suppose, if their courier can't handle the work) but I REALLY hate it when the seller asks for more to send me an item by Royal Mail who don't charge any extra (at the moment) to deliver to ANY UK postcode.

You ask how you can report this to eBay, it's not that difficult, you can even talk to them or use the user's forum. But, getting them to take any notice might be another thing.

Slainthe Mhar

Dave

You think you have a problem skelph? One supplier actually asked where Wales was.
,Even Wales Pete, I'm sure someone will scream racism about now!
acid.gif

Roy.

dickm said
and I don't know the works of Charles Murray

Look him up dickm, you'll enjoy his work (if you understand doric that is!) - if you need help with the translation let me know.

"There's a wee, wee glen in the Hielan's,
Where I fain, fain would be;
There's an auld kirk there on the hillside
I weary sair to see.
In a low lythe nook in the graveyard
Drearily stands alane,
Marking the last lair of a' I lo'ed,
A wee moss-covered stane.

There's an auld hoose sits in a hollow
Half happit by a tree;
At the door the untended lilac
Still blossoms for the bee;
But the auld roof is sairly seggit,
There's nane now left to care;
And the thatch ance sae neatly stobbit
Has lang been scant and bare.

Aft as I lie 'neath a foreign sky
In dreams I see them a'--
The auld deer kirk, the dear auld hame,
The glen sae far awa'.
Dreems flee at dawn, and the tropic sun
Nae ray o' hop can gie;
I wander on o'er the deser lone,
There's nae mair hame for me. "

Most of his poetry was written when he was working in South Africa so I guess there was a bit of homesickness involved especially with this one (called Hame).

Nice! I can now just about read Doric, and understand one speaker when face-to-face about 70% of the time. But if it's a three way conversation with two Doric speakers, I'm totally flummoxed. Just have to plead deafness due to age.......

overseas postage for Ebay items is just asking for a chargeback and total loss including expencive postal charges. Issue a chargeback withing the UK and I'l turn up on your doorstep, hee hee.
the road systems and lack of transport to the northern reaches of Scotland can delay post arriving resulting in unwarrented chargebacks. Sellers on Ebay are not protected from the unscrupulous buyers. The postal system in this country is better than most, yet far worse than it used to be.

It is a real disgrace that Ebay take so little notice of such a stupid geographical mistake. Lots of people restrict where they are willing to send stuff to on Ebay because they claim they have been ripped off in the past. Perhaps some people have difficulty with foreign addresses. I reckon it is mostly just laziness. If you can get a good price on Ebay within your own territory why bother yourself with outside that, you would have to look up all the postal rates. 95% of all tools sold on UK Ebay are only available for shipping within the UK! I have asked sellers on occassion if they would allow me to bid some agree and many others refuse. I think some people just don't like dealing with the unknown (even if you are an ex pat). Frankly I don't think that it should be allowed to make a distinction between the highlands and islands within the UK. After all the goods are not leaving the country's borders.

I told an experienced e bay seller that I had been asked to get a quote for delivery to the Netherlands, and his immediate reply-"forget it! if you send it abroad, you'll never see the money." He said he'd been caught to many times.

phil.p":3ci62ku1 said:
I told an experienced e bay seller that I had been asked to get a quote for delivery to the Netherlands, and his immediate reply-"forget it! if you send it abroad, you'll never see the money." He said he'd been caught to many times.
.... but you "see the money" before you send the goods! :roll:

I was under the distinct impression that was how it worked too, first the buyer pays and then you dispatch the parcel. The only time I ever had a parcel go missing it was returned to me eventually and it turned out that the buyer had given me the wrong house number! I could demonstrate this and he was happy to pay for the postage a second time. The only Ebay rip off I ever experienced (which Ebay and PayPal did reimburse after a month) was a UK seller who ripped of a couple of hundred people in a single week.

Back