Poolewood 28-40 Superlathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodman2

Established Member
Reaction score
(hammer) Hi - can anyone help? Have brought a second hand 28-40 Superlathe but it is missing much of the of the Owners Mannual . Has anyone got one that they could copy and post or e-mail to me? Will refund cost(s) (hammer)

Thanks in anticipation.

Andy Goodfield

woodman2":19o8uzfc said:
(hammer) Hi - can anyone help? Have brought a second hand 28-40 Superlathe but it is missing much of the of the Owners Mannual . Has anyone got one that they could copy and post or e-mail to me? Will refund cost(s) (hammer)

Thanks in anticipation.

Andy Goodfield

I have owned one of these , you dont really need a manual as its all mechanical , What are you having problems with ? that you need a manual for ?

Some e-mails on the way, large files attached so more than one e-mail.

Not so much manuals but leaflets and an old magazine report.

(hammer) Thanks for prompt info sent through. I purchased the lathe in pices and I am awaiting a brickie mate to construct a couple of block piers before I can get it up and running. I have the front 2 pages, and back page, of the manual and seem to be missing the middle 12 pages!. I can only assume that they would be worth reading? (hammer) Andy Goodfield

:ideaAndy- I bought one recently, and the one thing I would say is that if you do any maintenance such as taking out the shaft to clean and grease the bearings, try not to get grease, wd40 or any oils on the belt or pulleys. Even if you wipe it off with meths, the thing will wail like a banshee for quite a while. :idea:(sorry,the first one was in the wrong place!)- mine's a variable speed, the advice may not be relevant to a fixed speed.

Andy- a few other things i have found. the quill is hollow between the morse taper and the threaded end- after using a deep hole borer for a while, it will fill with dust, stopping the auto ejection of the tail centre and ultimately blocking the hole. Just withdraw the quill and poke around with a screwdriver, then blow it out- you do not need to dismantle anything else to do this.
The pin that helps align the headstock in the case of mine actually mis-aligns it. With the pin in place the head and tail centres are 2mm-3mm out of alignment. The pin might serve a purpose, but alignment isn't it!
On the tailstock and the carriage i found the levers far too short, so i turned longer ones and glued them over the steel bars (which makes them longer and wider), which worked well, but i also reversed the underside of the carriage so that the adjustment is done on the back side, so the handle(no matter how long) dosn't get in the way of your tools. This also encourages you to switch the lathe off before adjustment, which saves you dinging near finished pieces by being smart and doing it with the lathe running.
I hope this is of some use.........................Phil.

Hi Guys, would anyone know the size of the drive belt for the 28/40
that is the width and lenght, is it normal for this machine to make a racket
when in slow speed, over 600 rpm its as sweet as a nut, cheers Bob

Tried that,to quote his reply (Hi Bob

I am sorry there is noting at all available for this machine anymore

Regards Terry)
not to worry! I will nut it out! this is one Pooolewood that will not go down without a struggle.
regards Bob

Back