Poolewood 28-40 spindle overheating

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graeme48

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon all,
Following up on various other threads about replacing bearings etc on a Poolewood 28-40, I have now completed the rebuild on my lathe. I have replaced the capacitor, drive belt and all three spindle bearings using the advice previously published on this forum.

Good news is that it is back together and all works; bad news is that it does not seem to be working as it should - not only is it making more noise than before, but the threaded end of the spindle is getting excessively hot, to the point that a prong drive in the taper will also become too hot to handle. (This is replacement bearing 30206, which I had a real fight to get the original off the shaft, but seems to be running true)

Any suggestions as to what I may have done wrong or is it just a start over process

Thanks in advance

I wonder if the bearings are being pulled out of alignment along the shaft, such that they have no end play and the sideways force on each bearing is excessive. That would be my first guess.

I wonder if the bearings are being pulled out of alignment along the shaft, such that they have no end play and the sideways force on each bearing is excessive. That would be my first guess.
Thanks. I'm going to slacken off the bearings a tad and see if that helps, otherwise it may be a strip down and re-assemble

Back