Poolewood 28-40: Outboard turning.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
Newly joined up member here. I have been turning for approx 20 years off and on currently based near Loughborough. Having had a career change last year (I don't like using the "Retired" word), i have had more time to fiddle with wood. Been using a Tyme Cub up to now and was pushing it to it's limits, so decided to look for something a wee bit more solid. Recently acquired a Poolewood 28-40 which I hope is more than solid enough for what I want to do. However I need to swivel the head-stock in order to do larger pieces and to make it more comfortable. I have searched the forum for ideas and there was one member that posted a home made scaffolding pole rig for turning outboard that looked quite good. But also considering a free standing toolrest. I could get the latter made up at an engineering works. I wondered if anyone has plans or suggestions for either a free standing or similar bolted on device? Not really expecting to turn huge items, but may be tempted to work up to a large platter that needs the freedom of a free-standing toolrest.

Also is anyone aware of any Poolewood 28-40 accessories/spare that anyone is looking to offload? Such as a small toolrest, banjo, small faceplates.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

ZenDogOfSunshine":123uygql said:
Also is anyone aware of any Poolewood 28-40 accessories/spare that anyone is looking to offload? Such as a small toolrest, banjo, small faceplates.

Can't help with your basic outboard turning requirements but a word of caution on spare accessories.

Poolwood 28-40/ 38-40 etc. denomination was subject to several design changes over the years, beware that centre heights, bar spacing, castings and spindle threads can vary considerably between the different incarnations.

Which model to you have, Reeves mechanical drive or 3PH. electronic variable speed.
There was an option on older (heavier) machines to have a split bed arrangement with an additional bed bar support at the headstock end that gave more flexibility on the maximum swing. (basically another tailstock end support) This does cause problems with close up to headstock work though if gap is set too wide.

The outboard turning setup for the Poolwood is quite a massive assembly and needs considerable room around the headstock end to accommodate.

I would say your free standing tool tripod is the most flexible option.

This thread and the published leaflets may be of interest.

When I first retired (about 15 years ago) I found that you get a little lump sum as well as a pension. I decided to spend mine on booze and cars (wife wouldnt let me purchase girls ..lol) and waste the rest on food and household bills. There are plenty of examples of sturdy standalone toolrests. This one caught my interest as it looked like it wouldnt wobble around too much or fall over.

http://www.toolsandtimber.co.uk/hapfo-p ... -05800apst

:shock:

I've no idea about your budget or space constraints, nor whether it would work with your poolewood though .
Maybe its above your (or almost anyone sensible's) budget ....but at least its a solid design to work from :)

Hi,

The lathe is a Varispeed with wheel to adjust speed. Thanks for the heads up on the different versions, I just assumed the tool rest and other items would be the same. The spindle thread is 1.5" 6tpi. I'll check the serial number tomorrow but seem to recall it was a relatively low number, but not sure how many were ever made.

Cost wise for the outboard tool rest I was not looking at the £300+ bracket. More like £150 preferably less, I costed up the option of using scaffolding like I had seen elsewhere on here and it was working out to be about that. I have seen some YouTube posts of pipes stuck in buckets of concrete which I wasn't an immediate fan. But with a bit of thinking and tweaking it may give a solid base.

Might have to get a short toolrest made up.

ZenDogOfSunshine":9yli1pxg said:
....... The spindle thread is 1.5" 6tpi........

Yes but is it BSW (55 deg.) or UNC (60 deg.) More modern UNC fittings may go on the BSW but beware they may scald and bind dependant upon the machining tolerances. Also the register diameter needs to be checked.

Hi the serial number for the lathe is 2310. So an earlish model ?

Hopefully I have attached a photo (not sure if attaching makes it visible or not).

Attachments

• poolewood2840.jpg
    poolewood2840.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 1,451
Here are a couple of pics. of my free standing rest. Sorry about the orientation on the one of the top. I don't know whether it was originally sold with the lathe or whether an owner had it made. It's 4" x 2" box section for the feet bolted to lugs welded to the column, which is 4" x 4" box section. All parts are concrete filled, and one foot underneath is a bolt with lock nuts on it to ensure it sits on all four feet. The top is 4" x 2" box section with holes cut through so the whole banjo and undercarriage is undone and fixed to it. If you have one made up it'll give you an idea, if you need any more pictures I'll tidy up and pull it out.

DSCN2159.JPG

DSCN2158.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN2159.JPG
    DSCN2159.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 1,483
  • DSCN2158.JPG
    DSCN2158.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 1,481
@Phil.P

Thanks for the pictures, I had been thinking about a box section steel rest, then moved on to thinking about pipe in a concrete filled tub, or a pair of scaffolding tubes to mimic the lathe bed.
More pictures would be useful, especially in use. Hate to put you to the trouble of tidying up, may never find that one piece of wood that was always at your feet! :D

I'll attempt to pull it out in the next day or two. Email me - phil.pascoe@skydotcom so I have your email to send them, please, rather than my posting them here. Unless of course anyone else is interested ... 'though they could email me as well of course.

I think if I were making it, I would try to get hold of some 4" - 5" steel tube for the centre column and make it three legged, so the front two could be splayed so the leg at the front wouldn't be so obtrusive. In principal it's fine, but a bit more thought wouldn't have gone amiss.

I'd stick fixed castors on 2 of the legs so you can rock it over centre and wheel it about instead of dragging it as well.

Back