Poolewood 28-40 outboard turning attachment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogmonster

Established Member
Reaction score
Not sure if I am the only person using one of these lathes now so maybe of limited value but here you are anyway...

My lathe came with a free standing tool rest and I didn't go a bundle on it. It did not have the Poolewood outboard assembly that bolts on :(

However, the holes in the castings were the same size as scaffolding :) Be aware that scaffolding has a nominal size and it took a few tries to get some bars that would fit. I also had to grind down the seams a bit with an angle grinder. I used scaffold fittings and railing fittings to hold everything together. The railing fittings are used as the frame comes to crotch height and didn't want sharp edges :shock:

I used the existing toolrest and bango assembly and got an engineer to turn a riser from 40mm steel bar. The construction is very solid, is adjustable and has worked very well. It is definitely more stable than inboard turning on the original bars.

Not sure if a similar design can be used on other lathes, you would need to use some brackets to attach the scaffolding to the lathe.

I have added some photos, sorry, big mess in the workshop, been making shavings...

rest1.jpg

rest3.jpg

rest2.jpg

BM

bogmonster":14ppmyue said:
Not sure if I am the only person using one of these lathes now so maybe of ......

Members Lathes.

I take it by the looks of the tool post support that you have the mechanical Vari-speed drive version.

Looks like you've been having fun there :)

I find a snow shovel and dustbin the best way to clear up !

Cheers, Paul

CHJ":2kz7p5bc said:
I take it by the looks of the tool post support that you have the mechanical Vari-speed drive version.

Yes, it is the mechanical VS model.

Looks like a very solid bed for the rest.

I do like seeing a shop with that many shaving lying around, it shows you get on with turning rather than cleaning up. :lol: I also like how the extractor just on the edge of the photo looks empty #-o

Cheers
David

I've got one as well - I don't have a problem with the free standing rest, although I did fill it with concrete. I put a tube through the bottom hole of the lathe and anchored it back to the wall.
Btw, did you see the one that went for £73 on fleabay?

Just to prove that I can just about handle a shovel and vacuum cleaner...

ws.jpg

BM

Thanks for shareing your last Three posts most intresting . :idea:
Geoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back