Poolewood 28-40 chuck grief

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bogmonster

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My recently acquired PW 28-40 came with faceplates, pin chucks, collet chuckes etc. Sadly no scroll chuck. No issue, it looked like the Graduate thread - not the early T02P thread that is difficult to get now.

So, I bought an Axminster chuck and guess what. Yep, does not fit. The issue is that the Axminster has a very precise rebate for the register of 1.5". The PW register is actually closer to 1.52". My faceplates and other chucks are 1.53" to 1.55".

So, what to do? I think the best option is to get an engineer to skim the rebate in the Axminster chuck to 1.53". This will give a little clearance room. I don't think a natt's of lateral play will make any difference as long as the chuck fits square to the register.

The other option is to reduce the lathe register to 1.5" but that means everything else becomes a bit looser.

Any thought?

Chris.

Chris

It might be easier and cheaper to use a spacer on the headstock spindle. This is what I do when I come across a spindle where one of my chucks doesn't register properly. I just turn a spacer out of wood. I know this is just a temporary fix so in your case I'd turn a metal one.

I bought a K10 for my poolewood 1500 and it would not go onto the register. It needed about 2thou taking off the inside.
I took it back and bought a sorby which fitted perfectly

Fred

As Mark say's, a spacer should work fine. I made one from very thin (1mm?) plastic chopping board, stops the chuck jamming on also.

Cheers, Paul

Hi,

Thanks for the ideas. Being impatient I had the chuck modified. I used an engineer I have used before and he did it the same day. The chuck now sits nicely against the datum at the back and centres well on the register.

I think a spacer may also have worked well to keep the chuck square but it would not have been so good for lateral movement.

Thanks for all your help.

Chris.

Latest posts

Back