Poole Machinery PW 28-40

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally managed to uncover this thing last night with the intention of cleaning it up and getting some photos for auction and thought to myself, well, may as well give it a whizz, make sure it works and all that.

Was actually quite fun, especially knowing I literally have all the gear to go with it, including having no idea at all of course. Now it's no longer buried, it's not as in the way as I once thought, so I reckon I'll keep it and see what else I can make apart from the pile of wood shavings I had last night. Oh, and a rather unimpressive turned piece of ropey old pine.

Wuffles":3r0obvs1 said:
I finally managed to uncover this thing last night with the intention of cleaning it up and getting some photos for auction and thought to myself, well, may as well give it a whizz, make sure it works and all that.

Was actually quite fun, especially knowing I literally have all the gear to go with it, including having no idea at all of course. Now it's no longer buried, it's not as in the way as I once thought, so I reckon I'll keep it and see what else I can make apart from the pile of wood shavings I had last night. Oh, and a rather unimpressive turned piece of ropey old pine.

whoops there goes another one that slope catches quite a few :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just to resurrect this thread from the gloom of the Winter.

I've been very busy, made some bowls and blanks, tried a segmented bowl (I was luckily wearing a mask when that exploded on the lathe) so tried again with some better glue and that came out ok, but gave it away foolishly and now need to try another.

Where is a good place in the UK for getting some exotic hardwood "bits"/off-cuts? Is it something that's worth trying mail order?

Ideally looking for something with a decent contrast to the oak I have access to.

Wuffles":dfsqy7mp said:
Where is a good place in the UK for getting some exotic hardwood "bits"/off-cuts? .
Yandles is not a million miles from you they have racks of exotics aimed at turners and carvers but they also usually have an oddments box in the main shed, digging around in this and a judicious selection of "shorts" or the seconds can prove more economical for the sort of pieces to meet your needs.

they have an oddments bin in the main timber store, always worth raking through, Wessex Woodturners also meet there last Friday of the month, the shop is open for a short while before each meeting, start time 7 for 7.30

Wuffles":3uh69sqm said:
Just to resurrect this thread from the gloom of the Winter.

I've been very busy, made some bowls and blanks, tried a segmented bowl (I was luckily wearing a mask when that exploded on the lathe) so tried again with some better glue and that came out ok, but gave it away foolishly and now need to try another.

Where is a good place in the UK for getting some exotic hardwood "bits"/off-cuts? Is it something that's worth trying mail order?

Ideally looking for something with a decent contrast to the oak I have access to.

you could always fume or ebonise some of the oak that you have. At least that way the grain structure will match.

As Marco said you can use oak and get a big difference by using wire wool soaked in lemon juice. If you are careful you can get some really lovely effects such as this. It is all one piece of wood, the stem and foot are coloured with the lemon juice / iron mixture. 'Scuse photo.

Pete

Attachments

• oak goblet 9.5 inchebonised gilded textured stem foot  (3).JPG
    oak goblet 9.5 inchebonised gilded textured stem foot (3).JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 882
this is a dreadful picture of parts of a clock that I made. Unfortunately my iphone has washed out the colour and rotated the colour by 90 degrees. However, it does show fuming of oak in 2 hour increments- from 0 to 24 hours. One or two were corrected with a coloured wax to make them a touch darker than the preceding one, that was probably due to variations in the tanin level of the oak, or different temperatures in the fuming tent. I did them over the course of a couple of days to avoid having to get up every 2 hours during the night!

fumed oak.JPG

It never goes black like the ebonised oak does, just a very dark chocolate brown. It looks drab and horrible (almost grey/green) until you put some oil or polish on and then it transforms.

Attachments

• fumed oak.JPG
    fumed oak.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 513
Back