Poole Machinery PW 28-40

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wuffles

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I did a deal with the missus that she could have some of the workshop space for use as a family games area if I could get a pool table. Some saw it as a poor decision, I disagree now there's a beer fridge in there too. So lack of space forces the following.

[skip to the end of the waffle if you like]

Sorry to make this my first post, and sorry to be doing it in a sub-forum where people enjoy their wood-turning, but figured I'll be spending some time in the other sub-forums over time - can you see where this is going yet? - and wondered if the lathe I purchased from the previous owner of the house we bought is worth anything to anyone.

I've had it for a year with grand plans of putting it to use...and haven't. Work and renovations have got in the way.

Don't get me wrong, love working with wood, but I think I'm more of a router/saw kind of guy if there is such a thing. Anyway, that's what I spend most of my time doing, square things. Not round.

[end waffle]

Does a Poole Machinery PW 28-40 in good working order mean anything to anyone? Comes with a bunch of (you're all going to hate me) chisels(?) and a spare chuck of some sort.

As you are probably aware, it's heavy. Very heavy. Took a bunch of us to move it from its previous location in the outbuildings to a new one, where it's now just in the way if I'm honest.

Based in the South West south of Bristol.

If it's worth nothing, I'll keep it as maybe I will eventually get time to have a go with it, but am at the stage where I've even been selling off my beloved spare routers and such to get money and space back in the workshop.

Thanks in advance.

Depends on your definition of "decent money" & "clean". It's nice to be on a woodworking forum where you're in the same time zone as the rest of the users.

You could post a photo, Im sure everyone-d like to see it.

¿somethings happened to the punctuation on my keyboard, excuse errors! Can-t find the brackets or the apostrophe.

I expect everyone would like to know which version it is, I think there were 3, one manual speed change, one semi variable and one electronic variable. that would make a lot of difference to the price.

This was the first lathe I noticed on the market, and I wanted one for years.

Unfortunately it's hidden behind a load of MDF - don't judge me - but I will un-bury it in the light tomorrow and take a snap. There's a belt inside the unit as I had to open the top to try and find where it was attached to the bench to move it. Think there's very little chance this thing has electronics in it, but could be wrong.

Poolewood PW 28-40 covers a range of differing spec machines.

Basically there is the older mechanical (pulleys and variable drive versions) and a later slimmed down (smaller castings) 3ph variable speed version.

Both are very capable machines despite being dated in design.

I use the later, and at lleast one other forum member uses the mechanical variable speed version that is fited with a very heavy 6 pole low speed motor.

I'll take a couple more snaps tomorrow. Whilst moving it, we found the bench it was attached to was filled with poured concrete, normal? I guess to stop vibration. Anyway it certainly made a collection of seasoned builders take notice when trying to lift it.

I think it's a shame that I don't have the time, I even had a few lessons from the gentleman we bought the house and of course the lathe from before he moved and then unfortunately passed away. He clearly loved spending time using it and creating things, and I suppose that's what's lacking. I have too many other things to do and couldn't even make time. The pool table I mentioned in the first post? Still buried under "things to find a home for before I am allowed near it". The beer fridge has been there for some time though.

Thanks all for your help.

Ah, but does it include a bench? :shock:

Thank you for that. I'd rather everything went, as the chisels (they are chisels right?!) are useless to me. Would love it to go to a good home and do the previous owner proud.

Wuffles":1qtwta23 said:
Depends on your definition of "decent money" & "clean". It's nice to be on a woodworking forum where you're in the same time zone as the rest of the users.
Be careful what you assume - I can think of 2 users in Australia and 2 (inc me) in New Zealand, and a few in France... :D

Compared to the Festool Owners Group...? They do stuff in inches and moan about metric.

I have the mechanical variable speed version and it is a good lathe. As you said it's heavy but stripped down manageable......just. It has a good speed range, plenty of power and torque. I am a swine for stopping lathes but haven't stopped this one yet.

Pete

Failed on the photos thing, it's on tomorrow's list. Had some other urgent tidying to do instead apparently - it seems guests are coming next weekend and they don't like screws and tools all over the guest room floor. Fussy.

I'm clearly no David Bailey. I also couldn't move all the things away from it on my tod either. Took a few snaps of varying bits and pieces.

2013-10-23 16.25.15.jpg

2013-10-23 16.24.52.jpg

2013-10-23 16.26.31.jpg

The rest and the "other end of the lathe" are separate at the moment to aid in lifting, but are there at least. All of it needs a bit of a clean, but I guess that comes with the nature of the beast.

Any ideas on value (or offers via PM) would be appreciated. Could really be done with this thing being gone, would rather it went to a good home but at the same time I'd prefer not to be having my pants pulled down over the price. I guess there's a fine balance between the space required any my polkadot underwear.

Attachments

• 2013-10-23 16.26.31.jpg
    2013-10-23 16.26.31.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 1,582
  • 2013-10-23 16.24.52.jpg
    2013-10-23 16.24.52.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 1,582
  • 2013-10-23 16.25.15.jpg
    2013-10-23 16.25.15.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 1,581
Is that Axbridge in Somerset? I have a 28-40. Price wise they go from anywhere between about £100 and £300 for a working example from what I have seen. Less if it has serious issues. Condition is important as they can be hard to fix - the bearings can take out the shaft and that is very bad news. Also, the motor is difficult to replace if faulty.

For the upper end of that price a properly working machine with the large bowl attachment and mabe a scroll chuck sounds reasonable.

It is hard to say from the photos but yours does look in need of TLC and I don't see the bowl attachment or the scroll chuck so towards the lower end of the price range I would think.

Also, I can't see the bango assembly - I expect it is there but can't see it.

My lathe does have some issues so looking for a spares and repairs machine and I am close to you but maybe not willing to pay what you want. You can PM me if you are interested in selling and I can come and look.

BM

Right I'll give it a clean up and sling it up for auction I guess. I think from its weight it'll be worth more as scrap than its value as a working lathe, which is odd (and a shame).

I did notice that there are some currently on evil bay. A buy it now for 200. A starting price for 450....... and one starting for 1,500.... no bids yet so grab a bargain :?

The 200 quid ones looks the right kind of price IMHO. Also there is a completed one for 255 with some tools which is probably not too far off base.

BM.

Latest posts

Back