Polyurethane on Oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbadmarky

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning All,
I hope you are all well on this fine Monday morning.
I have a question regarding finishing of Oak. I've made a table top out of some reclaimed oak flooring and thus far, have finished it with 2 coats of shellac and about 4 coat of (water based) polyurethane (Ronseal trade), de-nibbing between coats. I de-nibbed the last coat with 0000 steel wool before adding a final coat of poly but when I've checked on it today the finish is full of little black dots. Hopefully you can see them in the image below:

20201123_083244 Resize.jpg

I suspect it might be teeny tiny bits of steel wool which have rusted under the poly coat.
Has anybody any other suggestions as to what it might be? FYI: My workshop is uninsulated and did get quite cold during the night. Could that be a factor?
Does anyone have any solutions that don't involve me having a proper man-tantrum and stripping back to bare wood?

While on the topic, assuming I can strip back and get rid of the black dots, what wax should I apply over the top to finish over the poly. I want to avoid the plasticky look that poly can have and thought a sheen of wax might be best. Anyone any recommendations?

Many thanks,
Mark

Its bits of wire wool and water in the waterbased varnish and the tanin in the oak that have caused the problem, I use a scotchbrite pad and danish oil, the foam and pad pan scourers work very well for appling danish oil.

Pete

I agree with Pete. The only way to fix this is to remove the finish and the bits of wire wool.

An aside to the OP, is wire wool an advantage over scotchbrite on anything? I have the mirka version which has one as fine as (I think) 1500 grit? For a finer buff/burnish than that, I would sometimes use either a brown paper bag or a handful of fine shavings (particularly when turning).

Thanks for the replies all. Please excuse me while I throw a wobbler: AAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Right I'll strip back the finish and look for some scotchbrite.
Thanks for everything. Its good to have an information resource like this on hand for a novice like me.

Bad luck BBM - I'm afraid I guessed the tannin as being the source. I hope you have no other steel in contact with the wood. Tannin is oak's way of protecting itself against bugs - machining wet oak is a particular problem as all steel will collect a black surface.

I had no idea chestnut did the same - is that sweet or horse chestnut as they are different species?

Back