POLL - What do you pay for 1 cu ft of 1" sawn KD Am Wh

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you pay for 1 cu ft of 1" sawn KD Am Wh Oak?

• £10-15

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • £15.01-20

• £20.01-25

• £25.01-30

• £30.01-35

• £35.01-40

• >£40

• Total voters

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm interested (read nosey) to know what people pay for their wood. To keep things simple I've started with a popular readily (you know what I mean!) available wood.

If you can't remember how to calculate the price / cu ft, just look at you last purchase, work out the amount in cubic inches. Divide by 1728 (12x12x12). And divide that value into the amount you paid.

Eg - say you picked up a board 8' 1x6 board at the Yandles show for £10, then price / cu ft = £10 / [(8x12)x1x6 / 1728] = £30.

If you want to reply with prices paid too may be more interesting ...

Cheers

Gidon

My local supplier used to be £40-50 per cubic foot but with breaks for 3cu ft and 6 cu ft

I think 6 cu ft was about 35% of 1cu ft price per cu ft if you see what I mean

Hoewver, American White Oak has just shot up in price and now I only buy Ash

See my post re cheap Oak though

Cheers

Tony

I bought 8cu ft from British HardWoods for £28cu ft

Delivery for this was only £17 if I remember correctly.

SimonA

Thanks chaps. Quite a variation already!
I get mine from Atkins and Cripps in Saltash (nr Plymouth). It's about £19 for Oak and Ash is about £15. Bought a good stash of both recently. I've mentioned them before on this site, but I do find them good - and very helpful - will let you sort through the pallets. Their main place is in N Essex - Bishops Stortford and they have more species of wood there apparently and also vennered mdf and plywood.
Cheers
Gidon

I've never bought any but noted that Interesting Timbers in Bath are quoting between £28 and £50 a cube, depending on board thickness. Meanwhile, SL Hardwoods have gone metric and I can't do the math :).

donno about that 'merican stuff.. but I get locally grown quarter sawn KD for £25/cube, T&T KD at £19/cube...

Hi Gidon

Thank you for the link to Atkins and Cripps. :D I have just contacted them and they gave me the following costs, delivery is to Nottingham.

Based on 1" thick mixed width boards, with a minimum width of 4".

American Oak - 23.91 cu.ft. inc.vat.

American Ash - 18.98 cu.ft. inc.vat.

If the order was over 250 it was carriage free and if not, a charge of 25 was made for carriage.

Cheers
Neil

PS They are owned by Coastal Lumber Company, the largest producer of North American Hardwoods. This gives them direct access to Coastal's thirty manufacturing plants and over 300,000 acres of forest. (Taken from their web site)

http://www.atkinsandcripps.co.uk

Thanks Neil - I pay a little less than that - but they apply what seems to be an arbitary discount when I visit their Plymouth outlet! Didn't realise they did mail order.
Cheers
Gidon

This is potentially a very valuable, great thread. If people would like to email or PM me their last invoices I will make a spreadsheet that collates the data and put it in my website as a download.

I can do any conversions that are needed from metric to imperial etc or board feet to cubes. What would be really useful would be dates and supplier info, also of course an evaluation of the quality received.

So, data would be along the following lines

Species: as eg oak
Sawn: as eg QS, flat
Dried: as eg air/KD
Advertised quality if any: as eg F&S
Sold: edges as eg square or waney
Sold: faces as eg PAR or sawn
Typical lengths eg 3 metres
Typical widths eg 8 inches or 20 cm
Typical thicknesses eg 1 inch or 25 mm
Cost as eg £x per cubic metre or £x per cubic foot
VAT incl. or excl?
Seller as eg "Atkins and Cripps"
Sellers web url (if any) as eg "http://etc."
Distance from me (ie the buyer) as eg 120 miles
Delivery cost as eg "included "or £35
Selection method as eg " I chose it" or "by seller"
Moisture content on delivery if known as in eg 15%

Quality evaluation on delivery as eg " Driver lost his way, waited at home two days, delivered in rain without covering at 20:00. Wood looks OK though and he did not drop it"

Quality evaluation when ready to mill as eg " Not in wind and no excessive bows or cups" or "full of effin' knots, why did I buy it?"

Quality evaluation after milling as eg, "No immediate distortions, looks like what I paid for."

Overall evaluation in marks out of ten

Comments

Hi Chris

I don't know if this will fit into your master plan but as far as Cheap hardwood goes I've just bought some from a yard called Fenland Timber.
He wants 35 pounds a lump as he put it on the invoice. It doesn't matter what species it is or how large. I just bought Four pieces of beech fifteen feet long and about 24 inches by just over 3 inches thick. The wood is waney edge and was stored outside. This works out cheaper than anything I have seen anywhere else at about 6 of 7 pound a cu ft. He has Oak and Mahogany as well as Birch and Ash but more than that I can not say.
The reason for the cheap price is according to the manager is that the yard is moving at the end of the year and so he wants it out of the way.
You can choose what you want and climb all over it and delivery is free for orders over 100 pounds. I Have no Idea what distance the free part is for but I expect it would depend on how much you bought. As in my case it was about 25 mile and no problems. I cut a length of one piece as soon as it arrived and planed it up just to see what I had got on the inside. Perfect as far as my amateur eye was concerned. I have some Pictures of the wood I bought and I will try to upload these for you to see but don't hold your breath as I don't have a clue how to do it.

Btw i Love the chair.

Regards
John

Hi all

Trev
It is carriage free for an order value of £250.

Gidon
I would expect a discount as there was no carriage, but you have obviously done well.

Chris
Now you'll be accused of doing a Neil. Well done, an excellent idea.

Johnjin
All I can say is wow. Where are they based?

Cheers
Neil

PS Well done Gidon for starting this thread.

Newbie_Neil":2dub33lf said:
Chris
Now you'll be accused of doing a Neil. Well done, an excellent idea.
No, but wait, he signed in didn't he...? :? :wink: :lol:

Chris, blooming good idea. Been some time since I bought any :oops: but I'll see if I can rustle up the figures for the last lot.

Cheers, Alf

Hi Alf

Newbie_Neil":181vl9gb said:
Chris, Now you'll be accused of doing a Neil.

Alf":181vl9gb said:
No, but wait, he signed in didn't he...? :? :wink: :lol:

Alf":181vl9gb said:
At the risk of doing a Neil Veritas planes at Brimarc. Of course, Brimarc being Brimarc, the picture links don't work...

I was referring to your post on the hand tools section, which is quoted above. Doing a Neil appears to refer to anything from forgetting to sign in to passing an opinion on a web site. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

Hi John

It must be worth driving over there at that price.

Fenland Timber
Coates Road
Peterborough
PE7 2BE

I did a search and found this address, is their yard somewhere else?

Cheers
Neil

Hi Neil
Thats the place
Its actual in a village called Coates. If you are coming from Whittlesey side it will be on your side of the road and about 200 yards after the Coates signpost. Or about 50 yards before the village green so if you get to see the green you know you've gone past it. The Managers name is Mark and seems a very nice bloke. I would give him a ring first to recheck what I have said because it was three weeks ago that i was there. But don't worry he won't have run out. The timber was piled up as high as a house and there was a lot of it.
Best of luck

John

Hi John

Thanks a lot. I'll let you know how I get on, but it won't be for a couple of weeks now.

All the best
Neil

Back