POLL: What do you cut large sheets with?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you cut large sheets with?

• Cheap circular saw with guide clamp or wooden batton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Festool circullar saw system

• Metabo circular saw/guide system

• Other manufacturers circular saw system

• Bandsaw

• Jigsaw with guide clamp/wooden batton

• Tablesaw

• Handsaw

• Get woodyard to cut it

• Other

• Good circular saw with guide clamp or wooden batton

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Hi all

In response to a recent post with a very good idea from a certain galoot, I have posted this poll to see how members cut sheet material! (most used method)

I use one of two methods that both work fine for me:
1) Get the woodyard/supplier to cut it :D
2) A cheapo circular saw (with good Frued blade) and a long aluminium guide clamp (works amazingly well with no (or very little) chipping!

In my experience, any saw is only as good as it's blade and even budget saws work fantastically well once a Dure-Edge of Frued blade is fitted :wink:

I voted for 'Other' since I leave such matters to my Significant Other.

Gill

usually with gret difficulty so I get them cut down whenever I can as theyer easier to transport and store.
beejay

Newbie_Neil":2t02yo48 said:
Johnboy":2t02yo48 said:
I had to reply "other" as I use a good circular saw (Makita) with clamp guides or a baton.

John
That makes two of us.

Cheers
Neil
Three... Although mine's a Hitachi and I use custom made guides which make lining up the cut easy-peasy. Anyway I voted "cheap" on the basis that it's cheaper than a Festool... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Festool. Best yet!
Used to be TS on smaller pieces, straight edge and skilsaw on 8x4 sheets

aldel":2cdvutmm said:
Is a baton the same as a batten?
Nope, don't think so. But for the purposes of the poll I think we have to go on the assumption a batton is definitely synonymous. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Who wasn't going to say anything, honest. Sorry, Tony. :oops:

Manhandling 8 x 4 sheets over the tablesaw is a chore (even if you have the room/saw to do it!) I cut down full sheets with my trusty B+D circular saw and ally guide/clamp. Then trim them to final size on the table saw. A couple of large wooden saw horses makes this a piece of cake.
Cheers
Philly :D

Philly":1ax5svhc said:
Then trim them to final size on the table saw.

Philly, for a man with nearly every tool in the dictionary, you are missing a trick here. The Festool makes it totally unnecessary to leave a trim allowance - and that saved me a full £65 sheet of expensive cherry veneered MDF on my first job with it!

Chris
Don't tempt me! :lol:
My new years resolution was to kerb my tool purchases-I shot that to pieces already but I must at least try......
I try to plan my projects (stop laughing at the back!) so I have enough waste spare when making cuts on a full sheet. To be fair I wouldn't use the Festo enough to justify it (now stop giggling!! :roll: )
Well maybe for my Birthday.....
Cheers
Philly :D

Philly, it's simply not fair! You can't say all these hilarious things and then tell us not to laugh! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

I selected cheap circular saw but have yet to buy a full 8x4 sheet. Upto know I have got the timber merchants to chop it up in to smaller pieces (4z2) usually

Andy

Latest posts

Back