POLL how do you rip solid wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you rip solid wood?

• Tablesaw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bandsaw

• Circular saw (in table or with guide)

• Jigsaw

• Radial arm saw

• Handsaw

• other

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Hi all

In response to a recent post with a very good idea from a certain galoot, I have posted this poll to see how members rip (cut along length) solid wood! (most used method)

I use three main methods:
1)Tablesaw (most used)
2) Bandsaw
3) Rip with a cheap circular and batton (least used)

Due to my innacurate table saw it has to be the good old circular saw with guide batton or clamp.

Derek.

mainly the table saw, but I'll loose the first wainy edge with the circular saw and straight edge....

i trim off waney edge on bandsaw hving used a chalkline to snap a guide and and guide the cut free hand for first rip cut.
then its on to the table saw for further work.
dave w

I've clicked tablesaw because I use that most often but the bandsaw and the Festool have both been used fairly often. The Festool is very good for preparing long waney edged timber and I use the bandsaw (with help) for very thick timber.

Bandsaw. I like the thinner kerf in preference to a circular saw as much as anything.

Cheers, Alf

P.S. Thanks for doing these Tony, I was too lazy to do 'em myself. :oops:

Ditto Alf.

Plus I dont feel the need for a table saw anyhow. Much more craftsman-esqe to use a BS to cut to a [whisper] "pencil line" then plane back from there :wink:

Sam

Most used = TS
Preferred = bandsaw.
Due to space restrictions in the workshop, I need to use the TS when ripping anything over about 5ft, so that's the most commonly used.
Much prefer the bandsaw though.

Depending on the size involved I use either the tablesaw or bandsaw.
Due to the limited space around my tablesaw long boards have to go on the bandsaw anyway.

Hans

RAS at the moment, but with stock too thick for the RAS depth of cut, RAS to set the straight line, hand saw to go through the stock, plane to clean up the guff left over.

How I wish, when I bought the RAS, that I knew about the versatility of a BS...now I've finally moved, and have a bigger garage, a BS is on the list to be purchased, and then the RAS may end up on eBay.

Back