POLL How do you cross-cut solid wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you cross-cut?

• Powered mitre saw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Powered sliding mitre saw

• Radial arm saw

• Tablesaw with mitre guage

• Tablesaw with sliding table

• Bandsaw

• Jigsaw (+guide?)

• Circular saw (+ guide?)

• Handsaw with mitre box (or freehand)

• Other

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Hi all

In response to a recent post with a very good idea from a certain galoot, I have posted this poll to see how members cross-cut solid wood! (most used method)

I use either of two methods:

1)Below 155mm I use the powered chop saw (nearly purchased a sliding mitre today but resisted for a bit longer)
2) Sliding table on tablesaw - most used method for me :wink: !

depends on the length and width of the stick...

if it's up to 150mm, I'll use the chop saw, anything over that it's either the table saw with either a large panel cutter or cross cutting sled, or a hand saw. Occasionally I'll need to rough cut a long board to get it down to a managable size for the table saw jigs; I'll do that with the circular saw and guide...

umm..... that would be option.....??????????

Bit hard to answer that one, it's either sliding mitre saw if under 300mm, table saw if it's not too long (haven't got room in the shop to cross cut anything over about 2m long), radial arm saw if it's a fair chunk and I'm only rough cutting it, Festool and guide if it's too long to fit on a static machine, or a good old hand saw if it's convenient.

Sliding mitre saw upto 300mm
Table saw if larger but I no longer cut 8x4s on the table saw as its too dangerous to do it alone.

Large panels I use a 8x4 foam insulating panel inside a wooden frame ( for clamping occasionally) and a Metabo circular saw

SCMS, but the handsaw comes out when I don't need a precision cut or it's wider than the tailed demon's capacity. Used to be that was a lot more often with the mitre saw with only 6" or so capacity. Backsaws get used a lot for smaller stuff, but usually that's involving a joint of some sort, so I suppose that doesn't really count.

Cheers, Alf

Sliding compound mitre saw for most things up to 1ft, unless cutting many pieces to the same length - then it's the TS because the length stop is a better setup.
Any thing over 1ft = TS

Nearly always the nobex champion. Although if I ever had lots of repeated work I'd use the sliding carriage on the table saw

Andy

Back