Politicians in general. And Music as political comment. :D

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surely it should be, "Stabbing-up each other"; or have the Rules of Grammar been totally lost?

I've never been one to follow the rules :cool:

You know, there's a song that gets played on Radio 1 occasionally which references whipping white people "Like Django".

Surely it should be, "Stabbing-up each other"; or have the Rules of Grammar been totally lost?
In general grammar, spelling and symtsx are more or less ignored when it comes to lyrics of songs. I thought that was accepted practice . It's called artistic licence. E.g. 'You made me love you, I didn't "wanna" do it.'

John

Violent lyrics in rap music is considered "cultural" and therefore accepted....now where did i put those crime figures 😂

Staying with friends in Norway a few years back, every morning Radio Norge played Dolly partons Jolene followed straight after by Frank Zappa's Bobby brown "I can take an hour on the tower of power as long as i gets a little golden shower". Always made us laugh.

In many ways, the good 'ol BBC is still under the cloud (or lingering miasma) of Lord Reith.

Plenty of stuff got censored, including the Stones, Bob Dylan, the Kinks.... I could go on. I can recall that it was a sure way of getting sales for a new record - after all, if the Beeb doesn't like it, it must be worth a listen, correct?

Cast your minds back a few years to Paul (Crocodile Dundee) Hogan who had a spate of advertising some 'Aussie' lager in 'situations'. In one of these ads, a Japanese tourist on the underground points to the map and asks Hogan "Which way to Cockfosters?", to which the reply was, "drink it warm, Mate!" Boom-bloody-boom.

That one came from one of the greatest banned comedians of his day, Max Miller, who dressed in a suit of chintz, and who's act had a rapid delivery of all sorts of entendres, and who never stopped for anything.... you had to keep up.
His version went thus:
....'ere, I was in the tube the other day, jammed in like sardines, woman says 'scuse me, my man, is this Cockfosters? ......I said no, madam! It's Max Millers! .... 'ere!" ............less than 10 seconds and he's moved on to the nest lot of laughs. That got him banned at the beeb again.
But, Max Miller could pack a theatre in any town............... especially Brighton, which he owned, literally.

P.S. - For those non-Londoners, 'Cockfosters' is the last underground station on the Piccadilly line going into Essex..... always been good for a laugh, along with 'Mornington Crescent' which needs a dead-pan delivery!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back