Politicians in general. And Music as political comment. :D

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bm101

Lean into the Curve
Reaction score
Been falling down the rabbit hole in traditional music on youtube. Again...
If you're Irish you'll likely be aware of Leo Varadkar already. If not you might just enjoy the song anyway. Remind you of anyone?
Cheers fellas, wherever you come from. Mind your backs in the present climate and careful what you believe and who's telling you the truth.

I was very confused, I understood faggots to be bundles of sticks or meatballs in gravy. This is apparently offensive on Radio 1 but not on Radio 2. Radio 4 is what I listen to and there, stick bundles are banned because fires cause global warming and meatballs are forbidden, or soon will be, because they contain animals.

I have childhood memories of faggots. Vile things almost inedible. The local faggot expert was called Frankie and he wore a carnation and was tad strange.

Last edited:
You listen to a lot of radio 1?

I do for around eight hours a day or so for a few years. It's become quite a common thing in the last couple of years to noticably hear in older songs certain things get censored which a couple of weeks prior would've been fine. Something I've personally noticed very recently that most references to firearms in songs have been censored by the Beeb.

For example, this song by Format:B called Chunky has these lyrics:

Keep it going Till the break of dawn
Gonna shake a tailfeather shoot
It’s gonna be a run
Hold a shotgun on the rooster
And dare him to crow
How could anybody sleep
When they could get out on the floor

It used to be played quite a common song to hear on the radio for years but recently they've mangled the word "shotgun" into an inaudible piece of the song and it just sounds really odd, there are several other songs like this. Then there's songs by "Grime" and "Drill" "Artists" who go on about stabbing each other up over women and drugs on during the daytime, so I have no idea what the Beeb is up to.

I was very confused, I understood faggots to be bundles of sticks or meatballs in gravy.

BBC: Instead of culling or changing anything that might slightly offend anyone, why not cull the thing that offends everyone?

The licence.

& yet I've heard Melting Pot by Blue Mink played several times in the last year.

I suppose they'll be censoring or just not playing Brown Sugar next. Apparently the Stones have taken to self-censoring it for some years.

Come to think of it, much of the Stones stuff is censorable, a fact which makes them so much fun. You have to feel sorry for Keith and the lads. When they started off their parents' and grandparents' generation were offended by them and now the laughably puritanical generation of their grandchildren seem to be offended by them.

They must have been getting an awful lot right. I think that today might involve a celebratory airing of Midnight Rambler, Starf**ker and Some Girls.

Since getting a DAB radio about 6 years it’s Planet rock all the way for me, don’t think I’ve listened to the BBC since well ard Wogan passed, happier days.

Since getting a DAB radio about 6 years it’s Planet rock all the way for me, don’t think I’ve listened to the BBC since well ard Wogan passed, happier days.
6 live plays some great music at times Doug. Worth trying at least.

I tend to listen to music on You tube with ear phones in. My wife doesn't like the" carp" that I listen to, and she wouldn't know half the artists. I can listen to the Stones, Pink Floyd, The Who, Gov't Mule, the Quo, and many more without complaint.

Too many people get offended by very little these days.

Nigel.

As was pointed out in today's Times - anyone offended by the lyrics of Fairytale should see the lyrics of Cardi B's Wap.

I won't even publish the link.
Colourful though those lyrics are, the sad reality is that those who choose to take offence at the Fairytale lyrics would find nothing disagreeable with the Wap lyrics!!

I've yet to actually meet one of these people - I've only heard about them in the media. I feel I'm missing out!

I do for around eight hours a day or so for a few years. It's become quite a common thing in the last couple of years to noticably hear in older songs certain things get censored which a couple of weeks prior would've been fine. Something I've personally noticed very recently that most references to firearms in songs have been censored by the Beeb.

For example, this song by Format:B called Chunky has these lyrics:

Keep it going Till the break of dawn
Gonna shake a tailfeather shoot
It’s gonna be a run
Hold a shotgun on the rooster
And dare him to crow
How could anybody sleep
When they could get out on the floor

It used to be played quite a common song to hear on the radio for years but recently they've mangled the word "shotgun" into an inaudible piece of the song and it just sounds really odd, there are several other songs like this. Then there's songs by "Grime" and "Drill" "Artists" who go on about stabbing each other up over women and drugs on during the daytime, so I have no idea what the Beeb is up to.

Surely it should be, "Stabbing-up each other"; or have the Rules of Grammar been totally lost?

I suppose they'll be censoring or just not playing Brown Sugar next. Apparently the Stones have taken to self-censoring it for some years.

Come to think of it, much of the Stones stuff is censorable, a fact which makes them so much fun. You have to feel sorry for Keith and the lads. When they started off their parents' and grandparents' generation were offended by them and now the laughably puritanical generation of their grandchildren seem to be offended by them.

They must have been getting an awful lot right. I think that today might involve a celebratory airing of Midnight Rambler, Starf**ker and Some Girls.

Yup, White Christmas has been banned. And they won't play anymore Black Sabbath. Pathetic.

Back