Polishing textured wood.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Democritus

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have been getting to grips with my Sorby texturing kit, and have encountered a problem.
I put a textured strip around a beech bowl (see photo). The problem relates to finishing the bowl. Anyone any tips for polishing the textured bit. I’ve applied my usual finish, Hampshire Sheen, but even after polishing, the strip is sticky. How can I get a better finish?
D

Attachments

• 09D05481-CEA0-41A7-9B4B-EA3AD21713CE.jpeg
    09D05481-CEA0-41A7-9B4B-EA3AD21713CE.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 27
Could the finish in the texturing be thicker and take longer to dry properly , a nice soft shoe brush and a bit of effort should do nicely :)

Could the finish in the texturing be thicker and take longer to dry properly , a nice soft shoe brush and a bit of effort should do nicely :)

this is probably a very similar thing actually. probably cheaper too and easier to get locally.

You can go over the textured area with an abrasive bristle wheel to take off any fluffy bits. Polish either with a drill mounted brush or if you haven't got one of those, use a shoe brush.

I have 2 old dry 1 inch paintbrushes which I use with the lathe on. One never goes near wax and gets dust out of and off things, the other gets used for final buff of wax and oil finishes and does really well on grooves and complicated shapes.

As they were too worn for real painting so on way to bin, no expense was incurred apart from some sharpie ink to write "waxy" on the handle of the wax one :)

Hi Richard
I have a few brushes, paint and tooth, which I use for similar reasons. I tried them with the texture band, but, for some reason, they didn’t help. I think they might not have been stiff enough.
Best wishes
D.

A variation on the brush method which I was shown years ago by a carver and used on relief carvings is to have the brush in a hand drill to speed up polishing.
So something like this small round brush with the handle length reduced in length, screw put in end of handle and head cut off then mounted in drill chuck.
For bigger work this drill polishing brush straight in a drill chuck.

Back