Poland breast drills

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcolbeck

Reaction score
I have seen several breast drills marked "Poland" recently at car boot sales. Does anyone know if they are actually Polish or is it just a manufacturers name? I can't find anything about them other than there are a fair few on eBay. Here is a mint one, most of the ones I see are nothing like this but really well used and rusty.

DSC_1955-477x469.jpg

Are they any good?

It's a generic design, made by many different manufactures, worldwide, over many years.
Now superseded, by the battery electric drill.
However, for use on a Sunday morning, without disturbing the neighbours, they cannot be beaten!
If you buy one, it must be complete with the side handle, the chuck must have all 3 jaws, which work. Be picky, there are plenty about, you shouldn't need to pay much more than a pound or two, for a reasonable one.
Maintenance, is usually just a few drops of oil.

Bod

Sorry I should have been clearer. I know what a breast drill is in general, It was more the "Poland" brand I was interested in information about.

pcolbeck":27gzwws0 said:
Sorry I should have been clearer. I know what a breast drill is in general, It was more the "Poland" brand I was interested in information about.

Agreeing with Bod, the design you show, with the enclosed gears, was indeed widely available with many different brand names on. May well have been made in Poland, probably available just marked "Foreign".

Here's a recent example from Wolfgang Jordan's useful site.

https://www.holzwerken.de/museum/bohrer/bohrm1.phtml

Had a look on Ebay and there are a few of the Poland ones out there. I have never seen one in the flesh however. Have to say they look an improvement on the open gear jobs like Stanley made. Remember as a kid parting with some skin in the gearing of my dad's drill.
Regards
John

I think Stanley did make a drill just like this, with enclosed gears.

I bought a Poland drill new and very cheap from a UK market stall about 1980 - worked fine but didn't really need it - I think it's simply made in Poland before the walls came down, at a time when the Soviet bloc was selling old tech at v low prices as they needed the Western currency (eg Zenith and Praktica cameras, xxx microscopes, multimeters etc) all solidly built, not v fine tolerances, but v cheap for what you got.

danny

Latest posts

Back