poker chip holder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stewart,

It's not hard to make them with the help of a tablesaw - just cut a series of parallel grooves, the width of the blade and then use a gouge to cut out the bits in between, then a gooseneck scraper to make it smooth, or better an old wooden "round" (as in hollows and rounds).

You can also glue 100 grit sandpaper to a piece of shaped wood or dowelling for the purpose of smoothing. Either way, it doesn't take very long.

Taffy,

I've jsut had another idea,
What about using a Cove bit on your router, and doing each groove in 2 halves.
You could even have two halves of neighbouring grooves back to back on hte same piece of wood.
As you're not routing the whole groove in one go, the router bit wouldn't need to be as big, and you may well already have one that would do the job.

Hope that's clear
J

Thanks for the further suggestions.
I do enjoy spending lots of time thinking about how to do something rather than getting on with it :oops:
Unless I'm prepared to spend the 20 or so quid on a cutter/bit for a one off job I'm sure any of the cheaper suggestions are great ways of doing it. to be honest if the axminster round nose bit was 40mm instead of 1 1/2" I would go for that.
Still I'm bound to have fun with one of the other ways!
Cheers all
Stewart

if the axminster round nose bit was 40mm instead of 1 1/2" I would go for that

You could always make 2 passes a couple of mm apart (to make the 40 mm width) with the depth set to 20mm - you'll be hard pressed to notice the difference (the inner curve is the true 40mm one) :-

core40.gif

Richard

Richard
Thanks for that suggestion - I was hoping someone would say it might work by cutting twice. Now, if I can just think of enough other uses i could put the cutter too so justify the expense :wink: maybe drawer inserts to hold chisels in in the drawer unit I haven't made to fit under my workbench yet?
Cheers
Stewart

If you are thinking of doing something like the following:

http://www.pokerstars.com/FPPStore/Deta ... nut600.jpg

I know you mentioned that you wanted to make a groove to hold the chips but I assure you bars across the bottom at close to 40mm apart will work just as well to make a channel for the chips to sit in. This would be simpler and wouldn't involve the purchase of any new router bits. You can easily make the whle thing that much more special by having lift out compartments and concentrate on making the wood and hinge accessories top notch.

Although I do think semicircular trays would probably be nicer it might involve a lot more work. I guess its up to you at the end. Would like to see the finished project however you do it.

Gary J.

Nice link, Gary, thanks.
I managed to convince myself that I would be able to find more uses for a new router bit so splashed out - but not on the Titman £70 job!
It'll be a week or two before I have any pictures to post. I've got to finish off my first real project - a small oak table - who knows, it might turn out reasonable enough to appear on the forum too!
Cheers
Stewart

New router bit arrived at the weekend but didn't get a chance to use it until today.
Here are the test pieces - the eagle-eyed might see the little gap down the side where the router bit had to be moved to make up the gap between 1 1/2" and 40mm. The view from the top looks tight though.
Now to work out the design of the box with a few curves in it for the competition...
holder1.jpg

holder2.jpg

holder3.jpg

I cut the groove on the woodrat but the plunge on my Makita only just made 20mm. But having done the finances today a collet extension will have to go the wish list :roll:
Stewart

Thanks for the link, CYC
Looks a good magazine too so I've taken them up on the offer of a free preview issue.
Shame I haven't got room for a poker table!
Cheers
Stewart

Latest posts

Back