Pointless post , I know

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all

I just spent an hour in the garage with my 10-year old daughter cleaning up (bless her :lol: ) whilst I cut some mortices and tenons without a router, morticing machine or any other loud and whirling thing :) (no jigs either) (well, except the shooting board)

Yes by hand!! Not the first time by any means, but for some reason the most satisfying and to be honest most accurate.

Used a couple of chisels, tenon saw and the veritas shoulder plane. Peaceful and enjoyable

Well, I know this post is uninteresting and pointless and so I'll stop here - just that my wife is out tonight and I've no one to say 'look at that fit!!!' to. :cry:

Cheers

Tony

PS my daughter doesn't count 'cause she thinks everything her dad does is great :D :wink:

Tony":34mpl55u said:
Well, I know this post is uninteresting and pointless

We all know you're angling for it, so I'll bite :p

It wasn't the least bit uninteresting. Some of us (many of us?) will read anything to do with the quiet arts of working wood and thank you for the opportunity :).

I wish I had a heater in my garage shop - it's just too cold for working after the sun goes down, but I must buy Christmas presents for some other people before I start buying my own!

Pointless? I think not. A warming tale of successful hand tool using - my kind of post. But no pics?!
huh.gif

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1p5eoyoi said:
Pointless? I think not. A warming tale of successful hand tool using - my kind of post. But no pics?!
huh.gif

Cheers, Alf

Oops. Glued up without a camera seeing the inside of the garage :oops:

Thanks for the kind word Pete :wink:

it's just too cold for working

Heh. I was recently thicknessing (*) some stock for a small project.

I wasn't cold at all.

BugBear

(*) wooden jack plane, 2" blade, by Edward Preston, thank you for asking

bugbear":b2s040sc said:
I was recently thicknessing... I wasn't cold at all.

I'm familiar with the concept, but it involves not stepping out of the shop immediately after I've stepped in, and shivered :).

To continue this thread of hand tool daring do, I give you:

"Galoot is reminded just how long it is since her last serious planing session"

Yes folks, on a real project.
eek.gif
None of this stopping every 2 minutes to take another glamour shot of a review plane, carefully arranging the shavings in the background, but real planing to a purpose! Oh brother, and do I ache this morning in consequence...
blink.gif
Anyway it's The Board From H*** (tm) being made into a simple (very simple) footstool/small table. An opportunity to finally get round to trying the Miller Dowels too, but that's unsuitable talk for this illustrious board. No, the main fun was shaping the stretcher with shaves, and cleaning up the planer thicknesser marks/shooting the ends. Folks, there's good reason why the tool gods have seen fit to equip me with a wide range of spokeshaves from which to choose; no one single shave would deal adequately with that curve.
tounge.gif
In the end a combo of the Veritas low angle and the Preston adjustable (oh Preston shave, how I do love thee, even if Ray Iles blade isn't quite as super duper as the original) cracked it, and I'll admit I preened over the result just a little bit...
blush2.gif

But the best fun of all was had with the Veritas low angle jack. This is not a cheap shill for it, but genuine, honest-to-goodness what I think; that plane is a dream to use. I'm neglecting all my other planes as a consequence of it's luciousness; pity me, dear reader, when I tell you I'm wondering why I own a L-N #4.5. <Gulp>
ph34r.gif
It's pretty pathetic to say it, but I love that plane. Forget the tote; all its virtues make that small niggle null and void. I shudder to think that if it wasn't for the reviewing I'd never have given it a thought, let alone owned one.
eek.gif
So thank you Rob, and Martin, and you guys for reading the reviews. Bless you all.
smile.gif
Anyway, enough of this Oscar acceptance speech stuff; back to the shavings.

I wish the camera was working, 'cos the end grain shavings from TBFH are really beautiful; that was with the standard low angle blade, natch - ground square and used on the shooting board. But the long grain stuff with the high angle blade! Aaargh, if only I was capable of reading my vernier calipers accurately I could do a DC.
annoyed.gif
Oh what the heck, I will anyway: "they're of the order of 1 or 2 thou", I'm sure of it.
whistling.gif
This was with a slightly cambered blade (honed freehand...
tounge.gif
), and with DC's second DVD fresh in my mind, I tried out his method. S'good. Not as different from what I was doing before as I thought, but having the guidelines from the pencil does give a bit more accuracy than I had before.

So I now have virtually all the components ready; just got to make the feet by doing a cut out in the leg boards. You know the sort of thing; where the legs are just planks but a semi-circle cut out from the bottom creates two little feet. Except I want to do Gothic Arches, and I'm not sure yet how I'm going to them clean up right into the point.
ermmm.gif
Any thoughts on that would be appreciated, btw. And as you may be able to tell, despite the aches, I'm all a-buzz with the joys of woodworking. This begs a question:

Why the heck do I go so long between making proper projects?!
rolleyes.gif

Cheers, Alf

P.S. I was warm as toast too
wink.gif

Alf":2ocvv220 said:
I'm neglecting all my other planes as a consequence of it's luciousness; pity me, dear reader, when I tell you I'm wondering why I own a L-N #4.5. <Gulp>

Better send that L-N in this direction then - wouldn't want it going unused, collecting dust on the shelf - I'll find a good home for it :D

Hah! Anyone else watch "QI" on the Beeb? You know the noise and kerfuffle when someone (okay, Alan Davies) gives the obvious, but wrong, answer? Esp, guess what...?
tounge.gif
laugh.gif

Cheers, Alf

Alf":39kxjfj3 said:
But the best fun of all was had with the Veritas low angle jack. (snip) It's pretty pathetic to say it, but I love that plane. Forget the tote; all its virtues make that small niggle null and void. I shudder to think that if it wasn't for the reviewing I'd never have given it a thought, let alone owned one.
eek.gif
So thank you Rob, and Martin, and you guys for reading the reviews. Bless you all.
smile.gif
Anyway, enough of this Oscar acceptance speech stuff; back to the shavings.

(snip)

Ok - I hadn't seen this post before writing what I did in the other post... I will haul along something after all... :)

Ho Ho Ho...

Cheers -

Rob

Phew. Dug myself out of that hole just in the nick, eh?
rolleyes.gif

Well I've not been into the workshop to do anything practical at all today, so the buzz has warn off a bit. Never mind, I'm once again digicam enabled, so I dug out a slightly squashed whispy shaving and took a pic of it to cheer myself up. So that's alright then.
huh.gif

Cheers, Alf

Hopelessly stuck in "If it doesn't move much, take a picture of it" mode.
unsure.gif

and cleaning up the planer thicknesser marks/shooting the ends.

OMGGG.. sacrilege.... Heresy.... For SHAME too.!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

sooooooo.....what happened to the scrub plane and cutting gauge...????

:p

Alf,

Having looked at that link for the Gothic Arches I can see why you are hooked. Will you be making a new window for the workshop, the ideas that are shown are magic. :)

Maybe you need to start a self help group for the pictures of wood shavings. :roll: :wink:

Tony,

Since when did we keep on topic for very long? :roll:

Alf did seed a spread of ideas to start with and we just picked them up and ran. :eek:

I've got a pet woodshaving that i keep by the bed, its from a clifton No3 that i tried at a woodworking show, its sooo thin and curly :D 8)

and I've bookmarked those arches

Bean

Bean":e7xjjtpb said:
I've got a pet woodshaving that i keep by the bed
And you thought I needed help...
blink.gif
I'd like to make it oh-so-very clear that I do not keep a shavings collection. They were still handy in the workshop bucket/bin and I wanted to practice close-up shots. I'm not that sad a case, really I'm not. Well not in this instance, anyhow...
unsure.gif

The gothic arch thing is funny really. After all that, I found I had access to the ideal shape all along. The common domestic steam iron.
biggrin.gif
Progress will be made once I've bitten the bullet and changed the bandsaw blade which is as blunt as a blunt thing.
annoyed.gif

Cheers, Alf

Back