Pointless post , I know

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alf":o6oz4gye said:
I do not keep a shavings collection.
Cheers, Alf

'Spec yours don't look like this then?
:lol:

Plane_Shaving_5_inch.sized.jpg

Am I missing something?
Is being a handplane enthusiast about the finish on the workpiece or the finesse of the shavings? :wink: :D

i think they have a shavings fetish :p :p bean keeps his by the bed :shock: and alf keeps hers in a box :? :? :p

The common domestic steam iron.

ummmm.. cutting an arch with a steam iron....????

sheesh... I got dust in me eyes....

I jus gotta see how that sucker's sharpened..

<forced to keep curly rosewood shavings in a bag behind the door cos SWMBO wants to use em for somethin.... I didn't ask.!!!!!

Midnight":nyzbkxsq said:
The common domestic steam iron.

ummmm.. cutting an arch with a steam iron....????

sheesh... I got dust in me eyes....

I jus gotta see how that sucker's sharpened..
Don't be daft.
rolleyes.gif

I was going to turn it up to the cotton setting and burn my way through...
tounge.gif

Cheers, Alf

I was going to turn it up to the cotton setting and burn my way through...

crank up the steam and you could bend it at the same time... compound arch...??

<thinkin I need to lay down in a darkened room.....

Just to wind Tony up a notch or two more
whistling.gif
, and to really get you shavings nuts excited:

shavings.JPG

Again, if was just a chance to try out close-ups, honest... At least this time I remembered to press the Macro button.
rolleyes.gif

Progress progresses on the project, you'll be thrilled to know
huh.gif
, but as tailed demons have largely been envolved I can't possibly show you work in progress shots just now. Except for the shavings, natch.
innocent.gif

Cheers, Alf

Alf,

When I have to shape, cleanup and finish into corners or points that I can't get into with a plane, spokeshave or draw knife, I use a narrow paring chisel or two with either a low angle (about 12 deg) or high angle (about 60 deg) bevel on it. Occasionally I use a narrow swan neck as well. In dire circumstances when none of these will fit I have sharpened a small penknife blade and used that - it worked but required lots of sharpening and very careful use.

I tried regrinding an old iron earlier today and although I can get the edge 'scary sharp' it doesn't really cut very well. It requires a lot of force to keep it moving and has a tendency to 'dig in'. Also the edge doesn't stay sharp at all as the metal is much too soft. It was an 80s iron and we all know how poor the metal used on tools in that decade was - not to mention the naff plastic. My Grannie had an old Victorian solid iron and I'm sure that would prove to be much better. However I wonder if there Is some secret that I am missing or do you think that I am just wasting my time?

ciao

James

Sigh...

I guess I'll just have to rename the thread 'Alf's Shavings' :wink:

Tony,

I don't know about that - at least half of my post was pointless :lol:

James, if I'm missing the point, enlighten me... but I had the thought that maybe, just maybe a chisel plane would get into yer nuiks an crannies....

Mike,

Often it will but when, like the gothic arches, the corner is less than 90 deg particularly if it's 60deg or less than the chisel plane won't always get right into it,

I have to confess that I prefer to use a paring chisel than a chisel plane as well. I find I have more control with the chisel than the plane. That's just me though...

gotchya...... OK.... I can buy that...

bottom line is it don't matter how it gets done... so long as it's safe...and good enough....

Well if one of you lot would go and do some hand tool stuff and write it up on here we could get the thread back on track. In the meantime, I'm now wondering whether a flat iron would take a better edge...
ermmm.gif

James, I had thought about using a chisel, bevel down, to clean it up (and I agree, I prefer paring chisels too) but in the end a card scraper worked as well as anything. It's not a perfect finish, but then I'm applying hand tool principles to it - if you don't see or touch the surface, don't go mad finishing it. That's my excuse, and I stand by it.
innocent.gif

Edit: Ooo, I forgot I did do some hand stuff last night. Had some ash planks to cut in half, so out came the 22" S& J "Spearior" panel saw which breezed through it like buttah. Even though I sharpened it... And yes, long-memoried peeps, that ash. The stuff I've had in the guest room for nearly 2 years. I won't go so far as to say "we have coffee table", but it's edged a little closer.
eek.gif

Cheers, Alf

Wow, Alf, you really do have renewed enthusiasm for the workshop! This isn't something to do with justifying the purchase of those LN chisels, is it? :p :lol:

NeilCFD

Neil":286zndna said:
This isn't something to do with justifying the purchase of those LN chisels, is it? :p :lol:
The, er, crimbo pressie budget, er, did get, well, sort of, er, dented just a tad, so you could say there's a connection. Either I make 'em or the area under the tree looks a bit bare come the 25th...
blush2.gif
Necessity is a powerful motivation.
rolleyes.gif

Cheers, Alf

Well if one of you lot would go and do some hand tool stuff and write it up on here we could get the thread back on track.

You mean like getting half way through the next project having just used a handsaw...???

<learning that after 7 months of oak and elm, softwood feels like yer working with balsa....

5"x3/4 boards stacked 6 deep, crosscut with my new 22" panel saw...

easier than taking candy from a baby.....

Back