Podcast

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm a big podcast listener, and there is a distinct lack of podcasts for woodworkers, which got me thinking, would any of you be interested if I setup a podcast based on woodworking?

I'm thinking I could include interviews, video's, audio reviews, and hints/tips provided by the members of this forum.

It could be a bi-weekly or monthly podcast and mostly contributed to by this forum.

Let me know your thoughts.

Hi Byron

Excellent idea!

Not experienced enough myself to contribute, but I'd definitely listen in. Ideal for the ipod on long dog walks!

Cheers,

Howard

Okay, Podcasts aren't pea husks hurled across a room, I know that much... Have you got an example of the sort of thing you had in mind; my only try was of one from Colonial Williamsburg which is a limited field of experience. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Alf, as far as I'm aware there isn't a dedicated podcast on woodworking, the closest I could find was through itunes podcast directory and that was a discovery channel production which was more aimed at the DIY Market.

For those who might not understand podcasts and how they work, here's a quick explanation:

A podcast is an audio file (usually MP3). On this audio file may be recording of a DJ, music, interviews etc. Its kind of like a small radio program. What makes podcasting different to just MP3's is that with the appropriate software (iTunes is a good example) you can 'subscribe' to a podcast, very much in the same way you might add a blog to your newsreader.

The podcast is an RSS file which updates each time a new podcast is added, so everyone who has subscribed will automatically download the lastest 'cast. You don't need an iPod to listen to podcasts, any music player on your computer will play them.

Another way of thinking of it is like 'time-shifted' radio, once you download the podcast you can listen it to it as many times you like and when-ever you like. A podcast producer can now include video, images and shownotes, so when you download the latest episode of the podcast you will automaticall download the new content.

If anyone would like to try this out with existing podcasts, I highly recommend iTunes, you can download it for both the mac and pc here:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Once you have installed and opened iTunes, on your left handside in a list you should see an option 'Podcasts' this is where all your subscribed podcasts will appear. To add a podcast click on the link at the bottom of iTunes that says 'Podcast Directory' this will take you to their online directory.

From here you can search for a podcast or look at the top 100 podcasts, to subscribe to one click on the name, and then there should be a link that says 'subscribe' - click on that and iTunes will add it to your podcast link and start to download the current episode.

Podcasts are free and are usually made by amateurs, however a lot of the professional organisations are getting in on the act also, and highly listened to podcasts can also make money through advertising and such like.

If anyone would like any further information, feel fee to ask, otherwise if anyone has any idea's for content and what you would like to hear/see in a podcast please chip in!

ByronBlack":2cudfg9o said:
Alf, as far as I'm aware there isn't a dedicated podcast on woodworking
Yeah, got that. I was just wondering if you had a particular format in mind that you had an example of, but on another subject. T'was but a vague wonder, of mine. :D

Cheers, Alf

Alf, with regards the format, again I've not listened to a big enough cross-section of podcasts to see a format that will directly relate to the subject, however there is one podcast that I think could be relatively similar, and that is one called 'this week in tech' where some egg-heads sit round and discuss the latest news in tehcnology, have reviews, etc.

My own personal idea for a format would be:

- Bi-weekly or monthly (dpeneding on the contribution level)
- Hints and Tips section
- Phone/Recorded Interview with either forum members, magazine contributers or even tool makers (Rob lee perhaps?)
- Reviews on tools
- Galoots Corner - discussion of how to perform tasks with hand tools
and finally a run-down of any news.

For some of the features above, a video could be used, espeically with reviews, it would be cool to actually see the tool in use as its being reviewd.

Seems a good idea to me. The Triton Woodworkers in Oz have a monthly meet and news letter. Strikes me as the same thing but electronic.

Might be fun to have a few fun regulars? Like quizes, anecdotes, ect

Back