Pocket holes in a 2 x 4

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazurus

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok I have the basic Kregg k3 which is a useful bit of kit, but only does up to 38mm thickness. Is there a "Cheat" so I can pocket hole some 2 x 4 ? If not which jig would do this size of timber?

I seem to recall that the angle used is 15 degrees so just make up a block with a guide hole -using the jig you have will copy the angle and clamp it to your timber. If you don't have long enough PH screws then use ordinary CSK screws with a washer M5 should be about right to prevent the wood splitting.

Ok can play around with that, so what about screw length their seems to be little info on the WWW considering it is a popular wood size. Going to use 6mm (or #14) screws but how do I without too much trial and error know what length to order?

MK1 eyeball, just free hand it. As for screw length butt the joints together and lay a couple screws across the line they would take and measure what your happy with

I have an older K2 jig and it goes to 1 1/2" too, with a screw of 2 1/2" long. A 2x4 here measures 1 1/2" thick so no big deal but if you are talking of a full 2" thick piece then you will have to play with it some to figure out how to get the screw on centre and a length needed if that matters to you. I do have to ask what difference does it make if the screws don't land in the centre of the 2x4? So what if it is a bit to the side of centre, it is still going to have the same holding force. If you think pocket hole joinery is right for the job then put it together with the screws at the 1 1/2" location (hammer) and don't worry about it. :wink:

Pete

Yes I have some off cuts so I will have a play around, I think the screw length will be more of an issue than if it is dead centre so will look see and have a play.

If you use the 1 1/2" position then the screw length is still 2 1/2". We use #8 coated and uncoated screws for construction purposes and they come in lengths up to 4" long. They are flush head/countersunk screws and not flat head/washer head though and work fine with 2x softwood. You just have to be careful to not overdrive them. I'm pretty sure you have similar screws if you needed/wanted to go longer.

Pete

MikeG.":393pc1kv said:
Lazurus":393pc1kv said:
....... some 2 x 4......

That terminology is American. We have 4x2s this side of the pond.

I won't know what the bad language algorithm does to this until after I post it, which is amusingly ironic in its own right:

So a guy takes his buddy to the proctologist..
Buddy's so bent out of shape he can't even talk so the guy has to explain what's wrong.
"Buddy's broke his buttocks"
Now pardon the pun but the proctologist is a bit anal, says "can you please be more specific?"
"Well, he's got a chunk of steel in his buttocks"
Proctologist says "sir, please use the correct terminology"
So the guy says "well, buddy here tripped on a three foot long piece of two by four and he landed on a riser consisting of a single length of grade 40 no.16 5/8" rebar which penetrated his trousers and subsequently penetrated his pineapple."
The proctologist is losing it at this point and yells "RECTUM!"
And guy goes "rekt him? Look at him, it damn near killed him!"

Latest posts

Back