Pocket hole screws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Was someone asking about coarse-thread pan-head screws (as opposed to commonly available self-tappers) a wee while back?
I've just bought a box of Spax screws. They are ideal for pocket-hole joinery. Not cheap at £3.69 /200, but excellent. You may have to ask your local Spax retailer to order them (I did) or they are available mail-order on the net).
Much better than self-tappers.
Cheers
Steve

Steve
They are good I used some on a greenhouse i made a couple of years ago. But as you say expensive.

Bean

Hi John
Here is pic of 30x3.5 self tappers and 30x4mm Spax.
Yes I know it's a bit apples-and-pears-ish, but its the only comparison I have.
Spax_Pan_box.JPG

I'm really very pleased with them. What do you use?
Cheers
Steve

Steve, I use the normal (for pocket screws) Kreg style square drive 1 and 1/4" 7 gauge screws. Nothing like the pozidriv self tappers you show in your picture. If those are what you are comparing the Spax with then no wonder the Spax are winning. I use Spax Torx head screws for all other screw uses so I am a committed Spax user, but I should think that pozidriz screws in a pocket hole are less than ideal, not sure if you could get the torque for one thing, and keeping the screw on the driver wouldn't be so easy
Have you tried the Trend pocket hole screws? they are square drive and very good, even coated with some kind of light oil, ideal in a hardwood situation.
John

John, Steve
May I ask who your supplier is for Spax screws, I have used Axminster before. But on this occasion I need some 4.5/5 x 100 screws and in Stainless Steel ! Am I being to fussy?

Both of my normal suppliers do not stock anything as long anymore, I have approx 10 left and will need approx 150.

Any help would be appreciated

Bean

Hi Bean
These came from Pochin's in Long Eaton, but they had to get them from their Head Office in Leicester. Apparently they stock the whole range.
Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve

:oops: I know both shops, Wife from Long Eaton, I from Leicester but did not realise they stocked these screws.
Thank you

Regards

Bean

Latest posts

Back