Pocket Hole screws & Oak Faced MDF

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bean

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I have been asked to make some Reception Furniture for a local company, the item has to match all the current furniture so Oak Faced MDF, with exposed edges it is :shock: .
I am planning to use pocket hole screws for construction, will I need to reinforce these with biscuits, or will the holding force of the screw in MDF be sufficient.

The cupboard will be holding a couple of PC's and a small Flat Screen Monitor.

Bean

Bean

You will not need to use biscuits if you use packet hole screws, they give an very tight joint. Shouls you want to enhance this further you could always glue the edge as well.

All my machine stands are made in this way ans I didn't even use the glue addition.

Hope this helps.

Ta Waka

I dont use MDF much and I was not too sure that the screws would hold. I will use a glue line to reinforce.

Bean

Hello Mr Bean
I happen to agree with Waka about using pocket screws. I think that is the reason that they were invented. For MDF

I would also use glue and COURSE THREADED SCREWS.

Wear your dust mask :D

Travis

Hi everbody, When using pocket screws in the edge of MDF, do the screws go in without spitting the material. I,ve found this a problem in the past with various types of screws.

You cannot use any screws into the edge of MDF, as it will split, just remeber it are lots of pieces of paper pressed together

Hi Mcluma, It is possible to screw into the edge of MDF but you must pilot the holes. I have a couple of sets of bifold doors that hide the home office that I made from 2x12mm sheets of MDF laminated together and fitted the hinges with drywall screws, must be 5 years old now & no probs yet.

soapy":3sz9l4hm said:
Hi Mcluma, It is possible to screw into the edge of MDF but you must pilot the holes. I have a couple of sets of bifold doors that hide the home office that I made from 2x12mm sheets of MDF laminated together and fitted the hinges with drywall screws, must be 5 years old now & no probs yet.

I did't say that i couldn't be done, but as a general rule of thumb, it should not be done, as it is not a strong construction technique

i disagree, using normal no6 screws into end grain mdf is a very strong joint as long as it stays square, any side movement will break the joint and it's all game over. I've built my workstation from this method and have done for 16+ years with no problem.

Using "power" methods to fix the screws usually results to splitting mdf, but fixing the screws by hand results in strong joints.

Andy

Hi Bean

Just make sure that you clamp it all up before putting the screws in. This ensures that it stays aligned.

It was mentioned before, but make sure you get the coarse screws.

Cheers
Neil

Might want to put some thickish (10mm) dowl into the rear face of the MDF (perpendicular to the screw) near joins that require strength so that the pocket hole screws have something to bite into rather than relying on the MDF which generally doesn't like screws into the ends

Nice one Tony, Neil but as the edges are exposed :shock: just finished MDF I cannot use dowels for extra bite on the screws.

Bit of a [-X I'm just [-o< that it will hold together.

I suppose I could use glue blocks as well as pocket holes may be a bit OTT as its only got to house a PC

Bean

Back