Pocket hole screw question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelboy

Established Member
Reaction score
There's seems to be a UK wide shortage of the 64mm Kreg exterior grade pocket hole screws, including the bigger HD screws so I need an alternative for fixing 2x4's.

I've already got a load of 50mm screws (2") but after an unglued test joint (I am planning to glue the joints though) I think they could be persuaded apart if I tried hard enough, especially when tested next to some other joints where I've screwed direct through the timbers.

I've found these Spax washer head screws as an exterior grade alternative but what size is best to order (they cost a fortune so I don't want to get the wrong ones!). https://www.toolstation.com/spax-wirox- ... rew/p37824

Firstly, do you think these would be a suitable replacement and secondly, should I go for 60mm or 80mm given the thickness of the timbers? I've attached a quick sketchup of the joints and the sizes of the screws.

Which should I order - or do you have any better solutions?

Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 10.12.36.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 10.12.36.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 10.12.36.png
    66.5 KB · Views: 373
They're all out of stock - I've just called! I've tried with this company and ended up going for the 50mm which isn't good enough - even if they say they're in stock on their website, when you place the order and call they all tell me the same thing - out of stock!

I've just canceled my Kreg HD order this morning because the supplier still hasn't got a date when they'll be in. I also see from the Kreg US site that they're out of stock with them as well.

I've been trying to get hold of some for 4 weeks now, which is why I'm looking for an alternative.

From the link -
Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 13.53.20.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 13.53.20.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 13.53.20.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 290
Spax Hi•Force screws are absolutely fantastic for construction work. They are indestructible, I have never snapped a head, their clamping force is immense. I use nothing else for super strong mechanical fixings.
Only trouble is.... the pan head is 13mm. I don't know if Kreg HD are different but my Kreg blue-kote screws are all 9mm and so the pocket hole won't be big enough for SPAX.
If you want to just drill a 15mm hole for the SPAX as you aren't going to plug it, then go for the 80mm otherwise you won't have enough thread.

Loz_S":1khgq5ng said:
Spax Hi•Force screws are absolutely fantastic for construction work. They are indestructible, I have never snapped a head, their clamping force is immense. I use nothing else for super strong mechanical fixings.
Only trouble is.... the pan head is 13mm. I don't know if Kreg HD are different but my Kreg blue-kote screws are all 9mm and so the pocket hole won't be big enough for SPAX.
If you want to just drill a 15mm hole for the SPAX as you aren't going to plug it, then go for the 80mm otherwise you won't have enough thread.

Thanks for that! I've been searching everywhere for the head size - even the Spax website doesn't have those details (?!?)

I don't have an HD jig but I was just going to drill the standard pocket holes then re-drill the hole for the bigger screws. Don't see the point in buying a new jig for them.

Axminster have that size in stock. I use their screws with no issues whenever I do the very odd bit of pocket hole joinery - Rob

woodbloke66":2vm02sac said:
Axminster have that size in stock. I use their screws with no issues whenever I do the very odd bit of pocket hold joinery - Rob

Thanks. I did see them but unless I pay £12 for delivery then it's 3-5 working days. Having waited for over a month I need to find something from Toolstation or Screwfix that I can collect tomorrow.

I wouldn't mind but I've been given the run-around by the suppliers and took it that when they said they'll have a delivery 'imminently' or 'any day now' that that meant within the week, not 4+.

What about little washers and normal screws?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies.

I've ordered some standard Spax 80mm screws, so I'll see how I get on with those. Worse case I have to take them out and replace them at a later date.

I have the very device you need to solve your current problem !! You need to place the pocket hole jig complete with instruction manual, screws , and special hole filling dowels into the bottom of the device shown . It should be held tightly in place with any dominoe machine and biscuit jointer you have available together with the host of consumable items needed to operate these "wonder tools"
After only a few days with the lid tightly closed you will find that they have disappeared as if by magic.
This will. Leave you free and able to use sound joinery methods to produce quality work unhindered by catch penny rubbish.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 213
Mike Jordan":2mb7ont5 said:
I have the very device you need to solve your current problem !! You need to place the pocket hole jig complete with instruction manual, screws , and special hole filling dowels into the bottom of the device shown . It should be held tightly in place with any dominoe machine and biscuit jointer you have available together with the host of consumable items needed to operate these "wonder tools"
After only a few days with the lid tightly closed you will find that they have disappeared as if by magic.
This will. Leave you free and able to use sound joinery methods to produce quality work unhindered by catch penny rubbish.

Well, that was certainly helpful and went a long way to answering the OP's question. You are a legend.

It was intended to raise a smile. There are shortages of all kinds of things at the moment,I'm sure we will bounce back.

I only use a small quantity of Robertson (Kreg) screws at a time, so bulk buying isn't really worth it. I get what I need from Amazon usually. I haven't looked recently but last time I did it was surprisingly inexpensive. Not saying it's the cheapest, but it worked for me. But that was before Covid19 tho.

Back