Pocket hole jigs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one you linked doesn’t adjust for stock thickness. There’s another (more expensive - there’s a surprise!) Trend PH jig (eg Here) that does adjust for thickness. I’ve been using one of these for a while, works fine, and the included extension bars and slides make handling wide panels easier.

I use the Kreg version and with it's three drilling holes it does give more flexability on hole placement and the Kreg screws are much better than the UJK ones, I have had one laying outdoors for over a year with no signs of corrosion..

If you want Kreg then look at Kreg Jig K4MS Pocket Hole Jig Master System and not some of the newer offerings which are not so good in my opinion. Also look at this offering from WWW, Armor Tool Auto-Jig Pocket Hole Jig
and although I have not used one Peter is into decent tools and so it must be ok for him to sell.

Been looking through previous posts on recommended pocket hole jigs. Thinking about this Trend one: Trend Pocket Hole Jig & Pocket Hole Screws Jig (toolstation.com) which seems to balance price and quality. Any other current (2022) recommendations? Thanks!

The one that you linked to costs a lot less on Amazon, only £49. As already mentioned above, it can’t be adjusted for stock of different thicknesses though.
When comparing to other models, I guess it comes down to how much you want to spend. Given my circumstances I couldn’t justify paying £100+ for something that would only get occasional use as a hobby woodworker. But if it was something that I was going to use regularly or frequently I’d probably go for something a bit more heavy duty and also adjustable. Everyone’s circumstances and preferences are different though.

I have the Triton jig the same as Mikej460. It works,. fine does wood up to around 50 mm, never had a problem with it. Not fancy apart from the hideous colour but lets not get carried away. It's a guide for drilling holes!

Our Armor Tool version is currently out of stock but proving very popular, it has shaken up the pocket hole market and the competition are trying to play catch up.

https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/armor-tool-auto-jig-pocket-hole-jig/
A good video review.

Good review but he didn't mention the back of the kreg is 90 deg so you can take the jig to a ply sheet and drill the holes. Also the kreg has numbers on the actual drill bit and a viewing hole in the colet to preset common depths.

In case you're interested Rufas, I have the Trend jig that you referred to in your opening post. I haven't used it for over 20 years and never will now. In its day I put a lot of 18mm/3/4" cabinets together with it. You can have it gratis if you wish to collect (I'm just off the A303 in Andover). You'll have to buy another drill for it though. I have a bunch of Trend 35mm and 30mm screws as well.
You can use it on thinner panels with a bit of creativity but best to assume it's just for 3/4" panels and parts. All of the other jigs mentioned above are superior though and if you can run to one of them, I'd go for it.
Steve

In case you're interested Rufas, I have the Trend jig that you referred to in your opening post. I haven't used it for over 20 years and never will now. In its day I put a lot of 18mm/3/4" cabinets together with it. You can have it gratis if you wish to collect (I'm just off the A303 in Andover). You'll have to buy another drill for it though. I have a bunch of Trend 35mm and 30mm screws as well.
You can use it on thinner panels with a bit of creativity but best to assume it's just for 3/4" panels and parts. All of the other jigs mentioned above are superior though and if you can run to one of them, I'd go for it.
Steve
Thank you Steve for that kind offer. Let me see when I'm next up your way to see if I can make it work.

Not quite sure what you mean when you say " does it adjust for thickness". The actual drill guide moves up and down and you set the angle of drilling and therefore the thickness of the wood by a scale on the sie of the thicker/thinner setting slide. The clamp that holds your work also adjusts in and out to clamp varying thicknesses of wood. I have used mine on wood from 20mm ply to 63mm cls with no problems. Believe me , if I can use it with no problems, anyone can!.

Yes the thickness thing is something that caught me unawares, I have the trend ones and they have been useful at times, but I wanted to join some CLS and bought longer screws from Kreg using the recommended screw for material thickness guide on the screw packs, however when it came to using the trend jig I just couldn't fathom out where I was going wrong, it only gets occasional use and it was baffling me for it was clear that a longer screw was going to poke right through!! I then realised that the difference is that the Kreg jigs have adjustable height towers where the drill guides are, you lift the tower/guide and the hole you drill starts further back and also sets itself central in the joint, your using longer screws at the correct shallow angle that place themselves in the middle of the joint faces, which I guess means a stronger joint.
I built a garden table using the same pocket screw principle, I looked up the screw angle Kreg use and then marked off the angle on some 3x3 and drilled backwards,’ie from centre of the joint out, counterbored with a large bradpoint bit and used 2 big aggressive 125mm x10mm bolt headed decking screws on each joint. Used with housing joints Its made for very strong joints and was easy once I had myself set up. So pocket holes have their uses,,but they are still bloody ugly thats for sure!
Steve.

There is a recent thread on here somewhere that describes my use of spacers with the cheapie Trend PH jig to cope with different material thicknesses.

There is a recent thread on here somewhere that describes my use of spacers with the cheapie Trend PH jig to cope with different material thicknesses.
Is it possible to let me know where it is, I would be interested in seeing it, I have removed the towers and clamped them on but its not easy or quick.
Steve.

Hi Rob and many thanks indeed,,,Im sure Im missing something but to drive a longer screw into thicker material so that it exits in the middle of the joint it would have to start further back,,sitting the material on a shim would do the opposite,,wouldn't it? With the Kreg Jigs I expected that you would lift the towers up for thicker materials?
Steve.

Hi Rob and many thanks indeed,,,Im sure Im missing something but to drive a longer screw into thicker material so that it exits in the middle of the joint it would have to start further back,,sitting the material on a shim would do the opposite,,wouldn't it? With the Kreg Jigs I expected that you would lift the towers up for thicker materials?
Steve.

Ah - should have made it clearer - the default for the jig is for 18mm or slightly thicker material - the spacers I use are to get down to thinner (min 12mm) material, not to use thicker boards

Latest posts

Back