Pocket hole jigs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OliT

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon all.

Any thoughts on which pocket hole jig to go for?

On the long list:
Trend
Rutland
UKJ
Kreg

Any thoughts one way or other?

Oli

I looked at both of those but there wasn't much discussion of one type of jig vs another!

I looked at both of those but there wasn't much discussion of one type of jig vs another!

It really depends on what you're planning to do . . . I have 3 options ... a very simple block that you clamp on the board; the basic Kreg with adjustments for board thickness that you clamp to the board; a Trend that has no adjustment (other than using shims as I describe in the other post) BUT it does have better/quicker to use clamp for the boards.

To answer your question - the Trend with its own clamp is my preferred choice for fairly frequent us with sheets up to around 600mm square. The Kreg in second place for thinner material . . . and the single block thing from Banggood in China has only been used once in two years, I need to get round to throwing it away!

[If you watch FixThisBuildThat on YT the chap has super Kreg machine that is automated - just bung the wood in and it clamps and drills in one action - and StumpyNubs on YT has another brand of high-volume/automated pocket hole machine. If money and space were no object . . . . . ]

Well I just had a quick scan through the thread I linked to. Off the top of my head I found Castle, Titman, Axi, Kreg, Bangood, and Wolfcraft mentioned (no doubt there were others too, + home made). There was also general discussion of necessary screws, dowels and biscuits (instead of PH jigs). Did you go through all 4 pages? I felt it was a pretty thorough discussion of the whole subject, but if not enough info for you I suggest you do a further search 'cos this subject has come up quite a few times on here over the past few years.

But I doubt if you'll find much comparison of "Brand X" v "Brand Y" here as not many people will have bought more than 1 brand I guess. Try YouTube, there's always lots of comparisons there.

The question you need to ask is not so much which jig but which is easily adjustable for board thickness, has a decent drill and depth collar and with decent screws. For me the Kreg is great, I can say the UJK screws are not so good and don't forget that Kreg also does a heavy duty version.

I have a UJK version, it works pretty well. It is a good idea to use dust extraction on it.
My main issue with pocket holes is getting the pieces not to move as you tighten the screws up so I bought a clamp with the jig as well which helps a lot, its like mole grips with a special end.

If I was doing a lot of pocket holes I would buy the static machine for it.

Ollie

Well I just had a quick scan through the thread I linked to. Off the top of my head I found Castle, Titman, Axi, Kreg, Bangood, and Wolfcraft mentioned (no doubt there were others too, + home made). There was also general discussion of necessary screws, dowels and biscuits (instead of PH jigs). Did you go through all 4 pages? I felt it was a pretty thorough discussion of the whole subject, but if not enough info for you I suggest you do a further search 'cos this subject has come up quite a few times on here over the past few years.

But I doubt if you'll find much comparison of "Brand X" v "Brand Y" here as not many people will have bought more than 1 brand I guess. Try YouTube, there's always lots of comparisons there.

For once I did read all 4 pages! And yes, it was a useful discussion on the topic. The Trend one looks decent for the price, and I wanted to understand any other personal experience of the others.

Shake it up time....
Pocket hole jigs - Pointless.

It's a gimicky thing, no real place for it in furniture making.
I agree but they are very useful for building workshop cabinets etc if you can't justify a domino. In which case a clamped version works well. I have a Triton Pocket Hole jig, mole grip clamp and use Trend screws.

Shake it up time....
Pocket hole jigs - Pointless.

It's a gimicky thing, no real place for it in furniture making.

I don't think you are wrong in essence.
My main use for the pocket hole jig was to make up temporary jigs out of mdf for routing the old putty out of sash windows, in order to put slim DGU's in them. Quick and easy for that job, not really used it for much since then.

Ollie

I have the Kreg k4 and find it very good. One issue a lot of them have is the clamp lever is on the opposite side to where you drill so if you are drilling into a large enough cabinet piece etc u have to reach around to clamp it in place and unless you're stretch Armstrong it's quite difficult. I belive the k5 and the newer kreg models have the clamp lever on the front where you drill so much better.

Cheers
Tiarnan

Thanks Peter. The Armor jig looks great, but I think it's prob pushing the budget a bit for something I haven't used much before! Thanks all for your wisdom.

Well first thoughts on that video is that the Kreg 720 looks tacky, plastic this and plastic that, so what are they thinking by downgrading the K4 which I use. The K4 is just a clean simple jig, I have it fixed to a support base and setup is simple plus I keep all my pocket hole drill bits and drivers in a pot, I do not need onboard storage like this Kreg jig provides or those silly plastic containers that double up as work supports. So to me that Kreg is just urghhh, you can even see it flex when the clamp is used. The Massca M2 Pro, well that looks like a better engineered Kreg K4 , all alloy and with adjustable material supports plus an easy drill depth setter that looks like it is based on a routers turret stop and so a winner in my books, but it does have one drawback, only two drilling holes when compared to the Kregs three and the Massca is from an American / Canadian company which gives a better feeling that something from Bangood or some other asian enterprise knocking out cheap copies.

Latest posts

Back