Pocket Hole Jigs?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless you plan to take the cabinet etc apart at some time then yes you should glue up the joint when you assemble it.

I hear some youtubers saying that pocket hole screw joins are weaker than the other methods of joining. Is this true? Should glue be used with the pocket hole joining all the time?
They are absolutely correct a pure pocket hole joint is weaker than some other joints for example the finger joints in this construction

some joints are weaker than pocket hole joints an example is many mitre joints.

however the real point is not are there stronger joints but is the joint strong enough for the job. Also is the construction method the best one or at least good enough.

I usually add glue to my pocket hole joints I have not had one failure.

I hear some youtubers saying that pocket hole screw joins are weaker than the other methods of joining. Is this true?
Most jointing methods can be weaker than other methods if used in the wrong application, just need the right joint for the task in hand. Pocket holes and glue are a good method of making face frames and cabinets but for cabinets there are other options.

Most jointing methods can be weaker than other methods if used in the wrong application, just need the right joint for the task in hand. Pocket holes and glue are a good method of making face frames and cabinets but for cabinets there are other options.
Absolutely.

this makes use of pocket holes
3BA42D82-5402-4947-AD3C-BEA588E66BD6.jpeg

glued and Dominoes for location
DD3AFAD1-75AE-4AD9-8263-656B806A687D.jpeg

a stronger joint would be to run stopped dados and slot the shelves into them. It would also have doubled or tripled the time requirements with no benefit in this case.

as @spetric said you choose the joint for the job you are doing and time you wish to spend, most correctly designed pieces can use a wide range of joints any of which will do the job

Sure. I used my pocket hole jig and screws to fix seat of a broken old chair. It worked OK. I used wood glue before putting the screws in, and the chair seems now very solid. It was not simple process. But it definitely has its uses on some applications as has been said many times in this thread. The pocket hole screws were under the chair seat, so they are not visible.

The old chair's seat had been made with 6 separate pieces of boards glued together. When the chair was stored in the shed, it had damp and cold, and the glue just disintegrated giving up the seat structure. Had to clamp the boards into the seat form, and pocket hole screws joined them.

This youtuber says you don't need the special pocket hole screws or drill bits. Normal screws and drill bits work well.

Latest posts

Back