Pocket Hole Jigs?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@accipiter:

Well I did watch that YouTube clip, basically because I'd not heard of the Titman version.

I agree, as a "tutorial" the vid is little better than a chocolate teapot, but as you say, "the ideas/principles" ares there in the clip.

If you want a better tutorial I'd recommend looking for the Kreg K5 on YouTube. Yeah, you've got the Titman not the Kreg now, but if you look at the Kreg you'll see many similarities to the Titman (and areas where, in terms of ease of set up and use, the Kreg is better - IMO anyway, and without having used the Titman of course).

I don't know how much the Titman cost, but with "a boatload of screws" included, it looks alright, apart from my personal dislike of square drive heads.

But it looks like the Titman will do the job (though are the holes a little too shallow, as seen in the vid?) and unless you're turning out loads and loads of such joints, I wouldn't think you'd need more than 1 PH jig anyway.

@AES

Thanks - appreciate your comment.

These are photos of the kit with screws - the longest being 2"... 50mm and the shortest 1" or 25mm... Didn't come in the kit box as shown in the video but this Stanley storage box.

The other one from Bang Good only came with about 20 screws - two little bags - but you can adjust the width for the pocket holes and clamp the wood in and most likely fix it to a board... I haven't delved deeper in to its use yet. I do think I can make use of both 'though I agree I probablyonly need one 😕😊 IMG_20211205_170905_resized_20211205_052127132.jpgIMG_20211205_170926_resized_20211205_052126795.jpgIMG_20211205_171302_resized_20211205_052126477.jpgIMG_20211205_171311_resized_20211205_052126151.jpgIMG_20211205_171337_resized_20211205_052125782.jpg

Oh yes. You're the first.

Can't help it, never grew up.

There's an insurance agent just down the street from my house "Titsworth Insurance Agency"

My wife gets mad when I say "don't you think there's an apostrophe missing in the name of that Agency?"

We are truly an enlightened society when you can buy something from titman on Banggood and it's a truthful statement and nothing profane is purchased or used.

Can't help it, never grew up.

There's an insurance agent just down the street from my house "Titsworth Insurance Agency"

😂

We are truly an enlightened society when you can buy something from titman on Banggood and it's a truthful statement and nothing profane is purchased or used.

Sorry @D_W my earlier post said the Titman (go on...) was from Yandle's (with apostrophe 😉) while the silver coloured one is from Bang Good... 😂😁😂

(But I know what you mean... 😉)

Last edited:
I have the Kreg jig and it is really useful but only in the right situation, the other Kreg jig that has not been mentioned is the HD version that is also very good, again in the right situation. Kreg Jig Heavy Duty Pocket Hole Set Kit KJHD

I have used these for noggins on stud work where they are all in line rather than toe nailing, on a 4 by 2 I have used two pocket holes on each end of the noggin but keeping them all opposite each other and they are strong enough to stand on.

@AES

Thanks - appreciate your comment.

These are photos of the kit with screws - the longest being 2"... 50mm and the shortest 1" or 25mm... Didn't come in the kit box as shown in the video but this Stanley storage box.

The other one from Bang Good only came with about 20 screws - two little bags - but you can adjust the width for the pocket holes and clamp the wood in and most likely fix it to a board... I haven't delved deeper in to its use yet. I do think I can make use of both 'though I agree I probablyonly need one 😕😊View attachment 123460View attachment 123461View attachment 123462View attachment 123463View attachment 123464
Hi, the Bang Good one looks great and is similar to the Trend ones I have except I only have one pair of guides, Im assuming that they have approached the problem of centering the screw exit hole on thicker material by giving you a steeper angle?

The jig has a sliding scale that allows you to set the depth according to the material thickness. The hooked on wood china tools 21 (I think ) video is an indepth review

Edit

Here is the video

Last edited:
Hi, the Bang Good one looks great and is similar to the Trend ones I have except I only have one pair of guides, Im assuming that they have approached the problem of centering the screw exit hole on thicker material by giving you a steeper angle?

I've yet to use it so couldn't say... Sorry. Hopefully at some point next year I'll have a better idea. I've seen they can be useful and I need to redo my small workshop with units.

I'm intrigued by this type of fixing - although admit to some confusion in regards to the one I recently purchased from Yandle's in their Black Friday sales:
Titman Edge SUPER KIT Pocket Hole Jig With 1150 Mixed Pocket Hole Screws.

It has a boat load of screws, the drive bit and drill bit along with the jig but I was having trouble working out "how" to use the jig until doing a Google search and finding a video on it on YouTube. Not "the best" tutorial but think I've got the idea. Put along side some of the other jigs I've seen videos of it seems quite a basic one - and not "super" at all

I would say that it’s very much more than basic. If you want to take the jig to the work rather than taking the work to the jig.

it has a few additions that are extremely convenient.

As to how to use it, once you’ve used any pocket hole jig (and probably made a mistake or two) you know how to use any other pocket hole jig. It probably took all of a couple of minuets to get the principal then over time a couple of mistakes to remember to set the 3 important points of any jig.

1) set the jig so a hole drilled directly through the center of the jig will emerge in the centre of the workpiece (note this is a theoretical hole not a real one)

2) set the pocket hole drill depth so it just doesn’t exit the workpiece (probably the first mistake a new user makes is to drill too deep DAMHIKT)

3) don’t put pocket holes too close to the ends of a board, (if you do they will probably split 1 or both workpieces

number 4 is not the jig but the screws; use the correct length, correct thread, correct head (they are washer head) and don’t overdrive them.

@sometimewoodworker 👍 thanks, I agree with your assessment although when saying "basic" I was meaning as far as the small size and limitations with the two fixed holes whereas the 2nd one I posted pics of is adjustable for width between holes. I do see the advantages of both.

You've hit 4 holes in one with your list for using any pocket hole jig. As I've yet to use either I've yet to work through that list - especially I'm thinking the screws in respect of coarse or fine thread and the length to use. Unfortunately neither of the jigs I've got came with any instructions or guidelines. When the time comes and I start "experimenting" I'll come here and ask for assistance for sure - although I'll be watching a few YT videos which brought this system to my attention.

Thanks again 👍

The jig has a sliding scale that allows you to set the depth according to the material thickness. The hooked on wood china tools 21 (I think ) video is an indepth review

Edit

Here is the video

Hello Droogs, I think your video and our friends Bang Good models are different,,I cannot see any means of raiseing the towers on the BG and the one in your video doesnt have the extra pair of holes!

@sometimewoodworker 👍 thanks, I agree with your assessment although when saying "basic" I was meaning as far as the small size and limitations with the two fixed holes whereas the 2nd one I posted pics of is adjustable for width between holes. I do see the advantages of both.

You've hit 4 holes in one with your list for using any pocket hole jig. As I've yet to use either I've yet to work through that list - especially I'm thinking the screws in respect of coarse or fine thread and the length to use. Unfortunately neither of the jigs I've got came with any instructions or guidelines. When the time comes and I start "experimenting" I'll come here and ask for assistance for sure - although I'll be watching a few YT videos which brought this system to my attention.

Thanks again 👍

thread selection is simple, fine is for hard wood for almost everything including plywood, composit boards, chipboard, softwood use the course thread.
9687CB1E-13E8-4DCA-9273-DEC59B22C70E.png

and here is the instructions
https://www.kregtool.com/on/demandw...dLibrary/default/dw9c8fc95d/manuals/K4_NA.pdf

I hear some youtubers saying that pocket hole screw joins are weaker than the other methods of joining. Is this true? Should glue be used with the pocket hole joining all the time?

Back