Pocket hole jigs...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawdustalley

Established Member
Reaction score
I think sometime soon i'm going to buy a pocket hole jig.
I've been looking at 2 main ones:

The Axminster one.

and the Trend one.

Has anybody had any experience with these ?
They look good and useful. At the moment I'm looking in the direction of th trend.

The jigs that you are looking at is a good starting jig. I started out the same way. Two yaers a ago I got the kerg jig.

I might do. When I launch my new Sawdustalley site there will be a 'Review of the moment' these will change every now and then - so watch this space for news of the new site.

I went to the local tool shop yesterday, he told me that they usually had the trend jig in stock, they were out of stock and will have one in the new year.

Yeah - I hope not to go over the top - I guess there like biscuits - addictive and just pure evil :twisted: (You can get round sooo many joints using biscuits :oops:

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

I have to say looking at the jigs you have linked to, I am surprised anyone would want to spend 50 quid on a piece of kit you could nock up in your shop for under a fiver (including a dedicated clamp)

Am I missing something or are we all getting too reliant on expensive pieces of tat, where do you think the Pocket hole jig came from, sure in wood they wear out from time to time but for another 60p you can soon rectify that.

Steve, I can see where you are coming from.

There is no reason why one shouldn't make their own jig, but i've had the jig for just under 2 months now and I love it. I'm really impressed with it's build quality and how well it works.

I'm sure you can make a wonderful shop built jig, and if you want to go right ahead. I'm not sure if it would work VERY well, but i'm sure it would do it's job.

For more information on this jig see here or here

I hear what your saying but maybe I didn't make myself clear, I have been using a shop made pocket hole jig for more years than I care to remember and it works as well as I could ever want it to. Granted the guide needs to be replaced on occasions but not too often and for a cost of pennies.

I think perhaps people just have too much spare cash or have become lazy. For example a worktop jointing Jig costs between 100 and 300 pounds and has a production material cost of under a fiver.

Where do you think the manufacturers get the ideas from? In nearly every case it comes from the trade and in some instances they barely if at all improve on the original idea.

Don't get me wrong I love machines and gadgets as much as the next person it's just sometimes the money burns a hole in our pockets, so we have to buy buy buy but do we really need to spend fifty quid to pop a couple of holes in the side of a plank.

And that ends my thought for today

Hi Steve

Hear, hear.

And hooray for woodworkers who master basic techniques; they can make their own jigs and don't need to consider such commercial extravagances.

Yours

Gill

Back