Pocket Hole jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technium

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a trend pocket hole jig which I purchased a few months ago and only just got round to use it (building workbench) and I cant see how you adjust it for different thickness of wood. Im using some 2 x 4s and if I drill the pocket hole, the screw comes out very close 5-10mm from the edge so not really ideal.

There is an adjustment for width of screw holes but thats all I can see. does anyone else have this type and can advise or should I go and buy the Kreg version which does have the adjustments.

thanks

Colin

Have you got a sliding adjuster on the drill bit that tightens with Allen key ?

Cordy":rtjd28jk said:
Have you got a sliding adjuster on the drill bit that tightens with Allen key ?

Yes the drill stop but thats only for depth of hole drilled not the angle of the hole drilled.

From the manual ... "The jig can be used on material from 16mm to 38mm thick. If the material is thinner than optimum 19mm thickness the screw will not exit in the centre and likewise if thicker material is used. Even though the screw does not exit in the centre a tight joint will be still be created. As the material gets thicker however it may be advisable to put pocket holes on multiple sides of the component."

So the drill will exit 9.5mm from the edge. Use a pocket hole on both sides.

The only real solution is to take the guides & bushes off the jig and clamp them to the workpiece on their own in a position that will allow the screw to exit the wood in the centre ... not ideal.

Thanks, never thought of doing both sides. I will look at do a test bit with the guides just clamped in place and see how that goes.

cheers

Colin

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... qCActA7Ohw

trend.jpg

Colin
You would have been better buying Kreg (hammer)

How are the Adirondack chairs coming along btw ?

I seem to recall sending my master plans to you July 2016
:) :)

Cordy":2qm1fmit said:
Colin
You would have been better buying Kreg (hammer)

yeah whats that saying, buy cheap buy twice. Well I will keep with this one for now until the workshop is ready and then if I use them I will buy a Kreg.

Adironback chair hasnt been started, I have a few templates glued onto ply ready to cut but cant really do much until workshop sorted as everything in my way and can never find any tools I need.

thanks

Colin

Cordy":ypm40kgu said:

A couple of years ago one of the harbour piers in the town where I live was refurbished, and I bought a load of the salvaged Greenheart timber from the old pier. I made a bunch of Adirondack chairs out of it and sold them via a local garden centre. Because of the local connection they sold like hot cakes, which surprised me because wow were they heavy! Greenheart is one of those exceptionally heavy timbers that sinks in water even when dry, and an Adirondack is certainly no lightweight design to begin with. I've got a suspicion that they don't get moved indoors for winter, in fact I doubt they get moved for mowing the lawn, my guess is they'll just sit there immobile and growing roots!

Ah those where the days, I used to have a Greenheart fishing rod, it weighed a ton, my current carbon fibre fly rod weighs in at under an once, come to that so does the reel. 8)

Mike

Back