Pocket Hole Jig and MDF

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi

Has anyone had any experience of using Pocket Hole Joinery with MDF?

I have some 12mm MDF spare that I was thinking of making up some radiator cabinets with and wondered if I could use pocket holes?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Saint

Hey Saint

I believe that MDF and Pocket Screws were made for each other. I have used a lot of this in 3/4" MDF (appx 18mm). and it work great. I still use glue on my joints also. Be sure that your screws are not too long (so that they don't show thru) and be sure to use coarse threaded screws.

Good Luck

Travis

Hi Saint

Yes, everything that Travis said including getting the correct length screws.

Of course, that's something I would never do. :lol:

Cheers
Neil

Use a coarse 1" screw for 12mm MDF and a coarse 1.25" screw for 18mm boards. I'm just making a large radiator cabinet (and I mean LARGE) and I bought a Kreg Mini at Kempton Park to try out. I was impressed with the strength of the joints obtained on a test without glue. With glue it will be even better. I found that clamping the joint horizontally AND vertically (on a completely flat surface!) before screwing together gets the best result.

Ray.

Thanks everyone.

I wasn't sure whether there would be enough 'grab' into 12mm MDF. I will give it a go and see how I get on.

Cheers

Saint

I second Argee's point. I've actually made up some 'pocket screwing jigs': 3/4" plywood offcuts, shaped like a big right angled triangle. cut or sand the 'innermost' corner so that glue etc doesn't stick to it, and drill 2 big fat holes at the ends to take clamps. These let you clamp the whole joint solid before going anywhere near it with the jig. This has proved to be my fastest, but most reliably square and true, method of banging together basic boxes for all purposes. I actually made a set of cabinets for the workshop using a mix of MDF, ply and chipboard sheets, just to see if there were any problems with any of them. Pocket screws and yellow titebond produced a set that can take my weight standing on them.

Hi Shady
I have just finished a cabinet to house a PC in veneered MDF all pocket screwed but in 18 mm, small amout of glue on the edges and its as strong as anything. Rad cabinet and shelf to match have just been finished.
I would avoid screwing into what would be the end grain though.........not sure why but i feel that the mdf might seperate.

Bean

Back